Wednesday, March 4, 2020
Job title: Host/ Hostess
Job location: Chicago, IL
Position type: part-time
About the Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company's ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe. The Second City Training Center, which included the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of improvisation on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works, the B2B side of The Second City, focuses on hands-on learning, digital content, and consumer insights, and Second City Entertainment's foray into television and media continues to produce new content and programming. Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
Hosts seat the room, bar back, greet customers, clean up, and help maintain an enjoyable theater environment.
- Welcome guests warmly
- Escort guests to their seats, make them comfortable with small conversation and pleasant persona
- Helps others whenever possible
- Keeps immediate supervisor promptly and fully informed of any problems or unusual matters of significance
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in a timely manner in accordance with company policies and procedures
- Maintains a favorable working relationship with all other company employees
- Is always dressed neatly and well-groomed in company approved uniform
Qualifications & Skills:
- Food and beverage experience or customer service experience a plus. Applicants must be available nights, weekends, and holidays
- Experience in high volume environment a plus
- Demonstrated ability to interact with customers, patrons and guests in a friendly and enthusiastic manner
- Walk, stand and climbs stairs throughout entire shift
- Ability to clearly communicate with customers and other employees
- Ability to comfortably maneuver through furniture and guests
- Comfortable working in tight, dark spaces
- Ability to maintain composure with patrons and guests and manager expectations accordingly
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.
The Second City is an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.