This position is for local residents only.
Sorry, Visa / sponsorship not available.
Delivery Truck Driver
It's an exciting time at the Food Bank as we embark on our next strategic plan. We will have a dual focus on addressing hunger today and seeking innovative approaches that bundle food with other related services as we aim to have a lasting impact on longer term food security. We are looking for dynamic individuals who believe strongly in food as a catalyst for improved nutrition, better health outcomes, enhanced educational attainment and greater economic engagement. We believe that access to and affordability of good quality food can lead to more inclusive participation in the growth of the Greater Washington area.
The Capital Area Food Bank (CAFB) is the largest organization in the Washington metro area working to solve hunger and its companion problems: chronic undernutrition; heart disease; and obesity. By partnering with 450 community organizations in D.C., Maryland and Virginia, as well as delivering food directly into hard to reach areas, CAFB provides meals to close to 10 percent of the Washington metro area population - that is about 400,000 of the region's mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers and grandparents. CAFB uses a regional focus to provide food to children, seniors, and families. CAFB works directly and with a network of food assistance partners to provide food and nutrition education to its neighbors in need.
The Truck Driver operates company vehicles to make food deliveries to our partner agencies, pickup food donations from donors and follows all DOT and Safety Rules / Regulations. Monitors the physical and mechanical condition of vehicles to help maintain a safe and efficient truck fleet.
- Drive vehicle to distribution locations as assigned following food safety regulations and governing traffic area traffic laws to and from distribution locations;
- Loads trucks as assigned with orders daily;
Unloads trucks at locations and carts packages to designated locations on site;
- Count and separate food donations or purchased products by product type while unloading the company vehicle;
- Communicate knowledgeably with co-workers, donors and clients about the Capital Area Food Bank and associated situations;
- Assist with special events and distributions of Capital Area Food Bank products;
- Assist with operations as needed, and directed by the Manager of Transportation and Logistics;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Department of Transportation's rules and regulations for commercial driving.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals, including clients of the Capital Area Food Bank, either autonomously or in a team environment.
- High School diploma;
- Minimum 5 years driving experience;
- Satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle, forklift, or pallet jack with a valid license
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Frequently required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Occasionally required to sit and climb or balance.
- Must regularly lift and/or move objects up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move objects that weigh more than 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Drives in traffic, and throughout the community
- General food distribution center; contains moving forklifts and pallet jacks
- Frequent exposure to changes in temperature conditions
- Regular business hours; extended hours when necessary and for special events.
- Ability to follow GPS System or routing system / instructions while navigating to various locations within our service area.
- Must exhibit excellent customer service skills while interacting with CAFB staff, donor, agencies and or clients.
- Effective interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a level of professionalism, promoting Capital Area Food Bank's community spirit and mission.
Performs other tasks as assigned;