Aspen is one of the world's premiere destinations for inspiration and transformation at the intersection of recreation, nature, and culture. Aspen Skiing Company was founded 75 years ago following World War Two in a moment of vision and renewal.
With a purpose deeply rooted in expanding possibilities, we are company driven by its values and our people.
We operate four mountain resorts (Aspen, Aspen Highlands, Snowmass and Buttermilk) with summer and winter experiences; the Five Star, Five Diamond Little Nell Hotel in Aspen; the contemporary Limelight Hotels in Aspen, Snowmass and Ketchum; world-class events including the World Cup series and X Games; and a multi-store retail portfolio.
The Cook 1 participates and supervises in the preparation, production & service of menu items according to the direction of the Restaurant Chef & Sous Chef.
Essential Job Functions
• Responsible for the safe handling of food product according to applicable health codes and laws
• Maintain a clean and sanitary work environment, participate in pre and post shift cleaning and organization to include but not limited to: kitchen equipment, walk in fridge/freezer storage, dry storage, trash, recycle, mopping, sweeping
• Prepare & serve food items according to chef specifications
• Follow daily preparation list to ensure items are ready for service
• Assist with storage of food deliveries
• Report any problems with food product, kitchen equipment or work area to a Chef/Sous chef
• Able to work any food station within the restaurant with a high degree of competency and consistency
• Interacting with guests during service, if working in a servery restaurant; to engage and correct issues as they arise.
• Ensure Manager is aware of guest comments and concerns
• Show advanced knowledge of a variety of cooking techniques to include baking, broiling, grilling, sauté, roasting, blanching
• Safely use a knife & be able to demonstrate consistency with knife cuts with the ability to instruct others on the safe and skillful use of a knife
• Safely operate and be able to train others on the operation of various kitchen equipment to include oven, grill, flattop, soup kettles, slicers, robo-coupe, immersion blender
• Assist with training new employees as requested by Restaurant Chef and Sous Chef.
• Other duties as assigned
• Culinary School graduate preferred
• 2 years of progressive experience in a professional kitchen preferred
• Prior guest service experience preferred
• Ability to communicate and follow oral or written directions in English is required
• ServSafe or similar food safety course certification is preferred
• Ability to ski or ride at an intermediate level is required for employees of ski in/ski out restaurants in winter
Supervision Given and Received
Supervision Given: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Supervision Received: Works under direct supervision of Sous Chef or Chef De Cuisine. Tasks are assigned according to specific procedures, and work is checked frequently. Instruction, advice and assistance are readily available.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Ability to reach, crouch, kneel, stand, walk or be on your feet for extended periods of time. Regularly work in wet, hot and humid conditions for extended periods of time and may be required to walk on slippery and uneven surfaces. Must be able to continually lift, push or pull up to 50 lbs. individually or with assistance.
This position /certain locations will require an employee to ski or snowboard
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. By accepting a position with Aspen Skiing Company, you acknowledge that you are able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. To request accommodation during the application and interviewing process, please contact Human Resources at .
This job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
Aspen Skiing Company / ASPENX / The Little Nell / Limelight Hotel is an equal opportunity employer.
For an overview of Aspen Skiing Company's benefits and other compensation visit
As of March 11th 2022, Aspen Skiing Company, ASPENX, The Little Nell, and The Limelight Hotels will no longer require all active employees to be fully vaccinated in the workplace. Read more about our policies as it relates to employee safety here