Business Unit Description:
Michael Foods, Inc. is a leader in the food processing and distribution industry with business in egg products, refrigerated grocery and potato products. We offer exciting job possibilities throughout our organization where you can enhance your career, sharpen your talents and make an impact. Join our company and be part of an innovative team that's First in Food.
Wakefield is one of the largest production facilities within Michael Foods. We serve as a flex plant and are able to produce everything from a whole pasteurized egg to liquid, dried, hardboiled and curds.
POSITION SUMMARY :
The forklift operator is responsible for safely transporting product and materials within the plant.
This position has the responsibility to comply with Safety work rules at all times as well as an obligation to reinforce Safety as a Core Value. Ensures that all policies, procedures and activities, related to Food Safety & Quality, are followed and complied with uniformly, in an effort to reduce product and process variability.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Completes the forklift check list before beginning operation of the forklift.
- Maintenance work must be done immediately, if major problems arise, contact the supervisor.
- Assists in setting up the processing area.
- Assists in ensuring proper egg rotation to maintain up-to-date inventory and usage.
- Transports products and materials to and from the production area.
- Assists in the cleanup of the production area.
- Responsible for helping loaders when needed (plant).
- Accountable for notifying the supervisor if there is any damage to the product or materials.
- Assists production with labeling, packing, placing pails, and placing finished product into pails and boxes.
- Makes sure the materials are clean and sanitized before sending them to producers.
- Follows proper SOP's (Standard Operation Procedures).
- Adheres to safe work practices, follow GMP's, maintain sanitary conditions and ensure that product quality is maintained. Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
- Assumes personal responsibility to insure safe and healthy workplace for everyone. Adheres to all safety policies and procedures.
- Insures regulatory compliance at all times.
- Able to work weekends, holidays and overtime as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPEREINCE REQUIRED:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) or equivalent.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
- Prior manufacturing experience preferred.
- Ability to troubleshoot minor mechanical issues.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a company forklift license. Experience with forklift preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals in English. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups, customers/vendors or employees of the organization.
- Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and distance.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, and diagram or schedule form.
- Must demonstrate open and honest communication.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships and work effectively with others to complete work assignments.
- Able to safely lift and carry 50lbs.
- Able to work independently or with others in a team environment depending upon the assignment.
- Self-motivated while also willing to ask questions and seek direction.
- Displays responsible behavior at work.
- Open to change.
- Ability to work in cold, wet, noisy, dusty and humid environments.
- Ability to work around required cleaning solutions.
- Possesses good hand-eye coordination.
- Able to stand on hard surface most of the shift, ascend and descend stairs, bend, stoop or crouch, grasp and reach.