Earn up to $18.50 including tips!
Potbelly Sandwich Shops, where Good Vibes and Great Careers are a way of life! Come Build the Potbelly Nation with us.
Potbelly got its start in 1977 as a small antique store that turned into a lines-out-the-door neighborhood sandwich shop. Before you knew it, we were serving up delicious food in a fun environment at more than 400 shops across the United States.
We continue to wake up every day with one goal: Make people happy through good vibes and delicious craveable food. Put those awesome ingredients together, and there s no telling what we ll cook up next!
Job Title: Shift Leader
Location: Field, in Shop
Report to: General Manager/Assistant Manager
Travel Requirements: Rarely
Leads and behaves according to Potbelly Values. Leads a shift by managing and developing associates to execute outstanding product quality and customer service, build sales and control costs for each shift. Follow standard Potbelly operating policies and procedures with essential areas of focus including but not limited to:
- Lead Associates on shifts, including assigning tasks (cleaning, line duties, opening/closing duties), providing feedback and training.
- Know and support appropriate personnel policies, labor laws and safety procedures.
- Ensure all security procedures are executed (safe procedures, open/close procedures etc.)
- Transitions into opening/closing duties.
- Make customers really happy.
- Resolve customer complaints/issues.
- Empowers Associates to make sure all customers leave happy.
- Execute and support all food safety requirements and practices.
- Lead Associates to open, transition, and close shifts without supervision.
- Manage and organize the line and delegate duties to Associates.
- Know and uphold standards for product quality.
- Work the line as needed.
- Ensure back-of-the-house procedural standards are met.
- Promote sales on the shift through executing the marketing plan within the four walls.
- Control food costs, labor, waste, and cash on the shift.
- Count drawers and follow proper daily cash handling procedures.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS
- Must have the ability/stamina to work a minimum of 40 hours a week.
- Ability to stand/walk for 8-9 hours per day and sit for 1-2 hours per day.
- Must be able to exert well-paced and frequent mobility for periods of up to five hours.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Will frequently reach, feel, bend, stoop, carry, finely manipulate and key in data.
- Must be able to work in both warm and cool environments, indoors (95%) and outdoors (5%).
- Must be able to tolerate higher levels of noise from music, customer and employee traffic.
- Must be able to tolerate potential allergens: peanut products, egg, dairy, gluten, soy, seafood and shellfish.
- Ability to oversee a fast-paced, high-volume, customer-focused restaurant through coordination of schedules, problem-solving, maintaining cleanliness, training employees and providing great customer service.
EXPERIENE, EDUCATION AND BEHAVIORS
- Must represent Potbelly Advantage and Our Values.
- Minimum of 1 year supervisory experience in a restaurant or retail environment.
- Minimum educational requirement: High School degree.
- Must be able to work a minimum of 2 opens and/or closes per week.
- As a requirement of the position, all Shift Leaders and Managers must be trained and pass a Food Safety Certification course. In Illinois certification is required through the Illinois Department of Public Health, while in all other states certification is required through the National Restaurant Association (ServSafe), National Registry of Food Safety Professionals or the National Environmental Health Association (Prometric). Should the Shift Leader or Manager fail to pass the certification requirements after two attempts, he or she will be not be qualified to continue to perform in a Shift Leader or Management capacity.
- Ability to comprehend and communicate in English via verbal and written communication, such that employee can perform his or her job responsibilities
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to train and coach others.
- Must be able to demonstrate strong leadership skills at all times.
- Must be a strong team-player.
- Ability to manage a fast-paced, high-volume shifts while providing excellent customer service.
We re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability status.