Canopy by Hilton's culture is defined by who we are and how we interact with each other, our guests, our partners, and our neighbors. Our culture, "Positively Yours," is much more than a slogan. It's our underlying attitude, the story of who we are and how we approach everything.
At the core of Canopy by Hilton’s culture is the Positive Stay Promise. An ideal Enthusiast sets the tone for creating the “Positively Yours” culture at our hotel and is committed to delivering the lifestyle experiences our guests want.
The beautiful new Canopy Jersey City Arts District is looking for an exceptional candidate as its Line Cook.
Position Title: Line Cook/Food Enthusiast
Reports To: Senior Sous Chef
The Line Cook will be assisting the Senior Sous Chef as well as other kitchen employees in food production. Assisting kitchen staff in maintaining high cuisine standards for all guests. They will be also responsible for assisting in cooking and then ensuring that all stations are clean.
Additionally, they are responsible to prepare special meals or substitute items, regulate the temperature of equipment, pull food from freezer storage to thaw in the refrigerator and ensure proper portion, arrangement, and garnish foods etc.
Line Cook Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide the highest and most efficient level of hospitality service to the hotel guests.
- Works in the designated station as set by Senior Sous Chef.
- Able to organize the assigned work area and efficiently put away orders.
- Able to prepare food within recommended time frames to meet guest expectations.
- Able to operate kitchen equipment.
- Able to produce a quality product in a timely and efficient manner for the guests or staff.
- Responsible to maintain cleanliness and sanitation at the assigned work area.
- Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food.
- Prepare all menu items by strictly following recipes and yield guide.
- Cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards and food preparation checklist.
- Prepares, seasons, and cooks a wide variety of meats, vegetables, soups, breakfast dishes and other food items.
- Slice, grind and cook meats and vegetables using a full range of cooking methods.
- Wash and peel fresh fruits, vegetables and able to weigh, measure and mix ingredients in correct proportions.
- Have general knowledge of cooking temperatures, making soups & sauces, preparing entrees, vegetable preparation and a la carte cooking.
- Set-up the station with par stocks of menu items, and prepare the dishes designated for that station.
- Checks supplies and prep lists and ensures all items are prepped in a timely fashion.
- Replenish service lines as needed and restocks and prepares the workstation for the next shift.
- Ensure that all products are stored properly in the correct location at the appropriate levels at all times.
- Inform Chef of excess food items for use in daily specials.
- Keep work area in hygienic conditions at all times according to the rules set by the hotel.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods and report any incidents to the Sous Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food.
- Serve food in proper portions on to correct serving vessels and plates.
- As a Line Cook, you are also expected to comply with the conditions of the food hygiene policies.
- Accepting store deliveries are also part of the Line Cook duties.
- Coordinate and participate with other sections of requirements, cleanliness, wastage and cost control.
- Control food stock and food cost.
- Communicate assistance needed during busy periods.
- Ensure the highest standards and consistent quality in the daily preparation and keep up to date with the new products, recipes and preparation techniques.
- Ensure and prepare mise-en-place for banquets and restaurant buffets as per the BEO.
- Follow and maintain cleanliness and good hygiene practices in the kitchen.
- Operate kitchen equipment safely and responsibly.
- Attend the training being conducted and implement in daily operations and improve the quality of food.
- Follow the cleaning schedules for the kitchen and clean the section and other areas as directed.
- Work according to the menu specifications by the Senior Sous Chef.
- Need to be flexible and willing to help other departments at busy times as and when required.
- Great teamwork skills and attention to detail.
- Positive outlook and outgoing personality.
- Able to take responsibility.
- A person who enjoys working in a lively, fast-paced environment, someone who lives his hobby and is passionate about cooking and food.
- This role requires the ability to move and lift up to 25 lbs.
- Standing, sitting or walking for extended periods of time and ensuring a professional appearance in a clean uniform are also required.
High school education or diploma in culinary is required. Basic computer skills and familiar with inventory systems.
Previous Hospitality or Catering industry experience working at a Line Cook level in a high-quality restaurant or 5 Star hotel.