Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Research Scientist Food Safety- Mass Spectrometrist
Our nutrition business develops science-based nutritional products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands - including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® - to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest lives.
Our location in Columbus, OH, currently has an opportunity for a Research Scientist with expertise in food safety and trace analysis in food matrices. In Research & Development, our ambition is providing innovative high-quality products, creating sustainable value, delivering superior user experience and enhancing health outcomes at all stages of life.
Primary Job Function:
Serves as scientific leader and subject matter expert for analytical chemistry and determination of trace residues and potential chemical contaminants in nutritional products and ingredients. Responsible for developing, validating, transferring, and maintaining analytical test methods to address emerging issues, support routine quality assurance, and investigate out-of-specification events. Also, responsible for setup, validation, operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of analytical instruments and associated software/firmware. Works closely with Quality Assurance and Regulatory Affairs to support compliance and investigation programs related to potential chemical residues in food. Supports routine contaminant testing, research projects, and method validation to assure product quality as well as play a key role in global projects. Also, supports Quality Assurance with investigating and resolving out-of-specification results at Abbott plant labs and third-party labs around the world.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Strategy: Defines project goals milestones; responsible for timely project completion. Designs experiments and documentation independently.
- Strategy: Drives business strategy through scientific partnership. Translates strategic needs of the Division into executable programs and projects (Identifies strategic needs/benefits for the business portfolio + Develops expertise in strategic areas + Contributes to the generation of new product ideas consistent with Division strategy).
- Quality of Work: Responsible for documentation and accuracy, quality, and timeliness of experimental results.
- Quality of Work: Reads, understands, and complies with all applicable Division, area, and group-specific safety and employee health procedures. Complies with all applicable quality procedures.
- Work Performance: Successfully summarizes data and analyzes results; formulates conclusions and determines future experiments. May coordinate routine maintenance, lab safety, ISO 17025, GMP implementation as appropriate. Assumes roles of responsibility, such as training or document control. Completes documentation of experiments in laboratory notebook. Primary contribution to project reports that summarize results, conclusions, and recommendations as appropriate.
- Work Performance: Designs, conducts and leads advanced independent or multidisciplinary research driven by strategic business needs. Responsible for the accuracy, quality, and timeliness of experimental results.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Acts as lead analytical scientist, subject matter expert, project leader, or project contributor for chemical residues and other related contaminants.
- Develops, validates, transfers, and troubleshoots analytical test methods for contaminants in nutritional products and ingredients.
- Sets up, operates, maintains, and troubleshoots analytical instruments and software. Validates instrument and software/firmware installations and operational qualifications.
- Maintains lab space and ensures compliance with standard operating procedures and safety requirements.
- Conceives, plans, designs, conducts and applies advanced research/scientific direction/scientific leadership in increasing complexity. May establish research strategy.
- Independently designs and analyzes results from multiple experiments, formulates conclusions, and designs future experiments.
- Provides scientific/technical consultation to other scientists and business units internally, including method and testing support to global plant and R&D analytical labs; Product Development; Quality Assurance; Medical Safety; and Regulatory Affairs.
- Provides scientific/technical support and consultation to external third-party labs and manufacturers.
- Writes technical reports, method and other documents, and manuscripts for publication.
- Communicates top-line review of experimental results to large and diverse groups both internally and externally. Regularly communicates project status to management and provides managers with periodic reports summarizing activities and progress within area of responsibility.
- Presents work externally at technical meetings and conferences and serves on technical working groups and committees in analytical standards setting organizations (e.g. AOAC International)
- May supervise technical personnel.
Minimum Education/Professional Experience:
Ph.D. in chemistry, analytical chemistry, or related field with 3+ years of experience in research or industry laboratory or BS/MS with 16+ years of experience.
- Strong understanding of trace analytical chemistry and hands-on experience with analytical test methods for chemical contaminants in food matrices.
- Ability to setup, validate, operate, maintain, and troubleshoot analytical instruments, including but not limited to high-performance and ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography; gas chromatography; mass spectrometry; and tandem mass spectrometry.
- Practical experience with sample preparation techniques, including but not limited to liquid-liquid and solid-phase extraction; experience with milk-based systems and liquid and spray dried formulations preferred.
- Ability to independently develop and validate analytical test methods from beginning to end, including designing and executing experiments and interpreting outcomes; designing and executing validation protocols; leading single- and multi-lab validations; validating and leading method transfers to other lab facilities.
- Ability to independently summarize data and analyze results; formulate conclusions and review progress with supervisor/manager.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience writing technical reports, test method documents, and manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication.
- Ability to apply descriptive and differential statistics to interpreting analytical test results.
- Good understanding of relationship between product specifications and test method accuracy and precision.
- Ability to independently troubleshoot and resolve problems, particularly out-of-specification results.
- Familiarity with AOAC International, ISO, and USP standards preferred.
MISC: This Role is Located in Columbus, OH
WHAT WE OFFER
- At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- A fast-paced work environment where your safety is our priority
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully:
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity. Connect with us at , on Facebook at and on