This is a Temporary/Seasonal Position
Lake Allatoona Outdoor / Overnight Kitchen Coordinator
Salary Range: $14.40
Purpose of Classification:
The kitchen coordinator manages the overall food-service operation at Camp Best Friends Lake Allatoona including menu planning, purchasing, preparation, nutrition, safety, service, sanitation, record keeping, sustainability initiatives (including compost and vegetable garden). The Camp Best Friends program serves 3 meals to approximately 100 people in its Dining Hall. This position will live onsite Monday night through Friday morning. Room and board will be provided.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required or assigned.
- Manage the daily operations of the camp food and dining service including coordinating activities between the kitchen and the front of the house.
- Oversee the planning and preparation of nutritionally balanced camp meals, snacks and outdoor program food.
- Ensure the service of camp meals through directing the work of other employees.
- Ensure safe and efficient preparation and serving of camp meals.
- Oversee the inventory and ordering of food, equipment, and supplies and arrange for the routine maintenance, sanitation, and upkeep of the camp kitchen, its equipment, and facilities while keeping safety regulations in mind.
- Maintain inventory of food and small wares.
- Order food and kitchen supplies consistent with menus and enrollment counts.
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness, sanitation, and safety.
- Clean and maintain all food-service areas, including kitchen, dining hall, storage and kitchen recycling.
- Inspect equipment and ensure equipment is repaired as necessary.
- Promote practices that seek to reduce waste, reuse items, and recycle/compost as much as possible.
- Work in other areas of camp as necessary. Could include maintenance, office, outdoors.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Knowledge of and experience in food service: ordering, inventory, budgeting, food preparation, family-style serving, buffet serving, cleaning, and institutional kitchen equipment.
- Ability to work within a budget and purchase supplies efficiently.
- Experience in supervising effectively.
- Experience at a summer camp or residential program a plus.
- Must pass background check and physical.
- MVR background check to operate vehicles
- Authorization for background check for criminal and child protective findings.
- Must pass a drug screening.
- Current CPR/First Aid or Wilderness First Aid or First Responder
- High school graduate, or the equivalent, with at least three years of experience in meal preparation, preferably with experience in group meal preparation, supervision of volunteers and program management or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience working with youth in a camp and/or school setting
- City of Atlanta required training May 27-28, 2021.
- Allatoona Campground specific site training and Outdoor Activity Training June 7-11, 2021.
- Summer staff will be required to work a 10 - hour shift Monday - Friday from June 14 - July 30, 2021. Vacation requests during this time will not be approved.
- All summer staff must be actively involved in the lake with campers during swim times and wear a bathing suit (one-piece for females, swimming trunks with lining for males). Staff is not required to know how to swim or teach swim lessons.
- Resumes will be accepted.