Management professional delivering consistent achievements in business growth and success through expertise in:
- Managing start-up and turnaround operations, resulting in revenue improvement. Equally solid qualifications in finance, budgeting and technology implementation.
- Devising and implementing innovative promotional strategies resulting in a proven record of sales and marketing achievements.
- Recruiting, training, developing and building dedicated teams that accomplish performance objectives.
- Promoting service satisfaction and customer loyalty through comprehensive staff training and motivation, empowering staff and instilling professional standards.
Jan 2011 - Jul 2012
Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Chicago O’Hare
Directed operations of the world’s second largest Holiday Inn Express, with 274 rooms and suites plus 10,000 sq ft of meeting and banquet space. Supervised all department heads in this all Union hotel.
- Improved yield management, resulting in the following increases:
- Occupancy from 52.8% for 2010 to 55.5% for 2011
- ADR in all market segments from $94.33 for 2010 to $101.42 for 2011
- RevPar index growth of 12.8% from 2010 to 2011
- Enforced payment of advance purchase reservations, which immediately and significantly increased cash flow.
- Increased the hotel’s Tripadvisor ranking of 18 Rosemont hotels from #17 to #5.
- Increased PCR enrollments 87%, resulting in a #2 ranking of all IHG brands in North America.
Jan 2008 - Dec 2009
Crowne Plaza Chicago – North Shore
Hired to refocus Sales Department, resolve accounting issues, improve service and increase employee morale. Managed all department heads, including Director of Sales, Executive Chef, Restaurant General Manager, Assistant General Manager, Banquet Manager, Director of Housekeeping and Director of Engineering, at a property with 80 employees, 183 rooms, 12,000 sq. ft. of meeting room/banquet space, full-service restaurant (Zagat-rated for design) and lounge.
- Revamped accounting procedures, streamlined department and implemented new accounting practices which improved timeliness and cash flow through daily processing of receivables.
- Initiated marketing and business development efforts by recruiting 4 key management positions (Social Catering, Corporate Business Travel, Corporate Group Sales and SMERF), which led to business growth in social/corporate catering events as well as throughout the Rooms division (corporate transient, corporate group and social).
- Improved guest service and satisfaction from 78.26 to 91.67 by turning around employee morale through strong communication and promoting a service and quality culture. Coordinated major appreciation event for all clients.
- Coordinated remodeling project of 160 guest bathrooms without any service disruption to guests.
- Initiated creation of all new banquet menus that included items for ethnic celebrations, which generated significant new business. Worked with PR agency to host media dinners and generate publicity for the restaurant.
National Director of Operations
Jan 2007 - Dec 2007
Swift Hospitality Group
Directed operations of 8 properties and general managers, each supervising 25-30 employees. Oversaw and ensured compliance with brand standards of the franchise and the Swift Hospitality Group. Assessed and identified capital improvements and other property needs. Enhanced general managers’ ability to build revenue.
- Oversaw the construction and successful opening of a new property—Cambria Suites—representing a unique challenge as a new brand in the hospitality industry and only the second one to open in the US.
- Created and implemented standards and procedures that contributed to effective operations of all properties.
- All Country Inn properties ranked in top 10% of entire franchise in guest service scores.
- Teamed with general managers and the sales director to optimize all revenue opportunities for the Group.
- More than 50% of the properties increased ADR, from a range of 4% to 15%.
Regional Brand Business Director
Jan 2004 - Jan 2007
Country Inns & Suites by Carlson
Hired to build and manage relationships with key partners: owners, management companies and general managers of up to 45 properties throughout the region. Provided business development, marketing and operations expertise to help drive revenue growth and profit margins region-wide. Ensured highest quality and consistent delivery of products and services throughout the region. Provided input to ongoing guest service delivery strategies. Conducted on-site QA and construction project inspections to ensure stringent conformance to corporate brand standards/plans.
- Analyzed property data and provided solutions to help each franchise increase guest satisfaction, improve operating efficiencies, reduce expenses and boost revenues.
- 2004: region RPAR index increased from 109.7% to 112%; 2005: region ADR increased from $75.57 to $81.61 in 2006; 2004, 2005 and 2006: owner/operator survey revealed consistent overachievement of goals region-wide
- Facilitated establishing, communicating and implementing new brand operating standards.
- Increased hotel satisfaction with Brand Operations services support and responsiveness.
- Optimized service delivery resources and process consistency by working with Hospitality Support Services and team.
Jan 1999 - Jan 2004
Holiday Inn Express Chicago – Schaumburg
Directed total operational responsibility for $3.5 million, 143-room hotel serving corporate and leisure clientele. Managed $2.1 million budget and staff of 30+. Supervised department directors for reservations, housekeeping, maintenance, banquet and restaurant operations, sales, marketing, facilities, purchasing, finance, MIS, safety and security. Accountable for staff recruitment, training, development and supervision.
- Led property to rank #1 in region for guest service for 40 months (hotel ranked #5 in North America in 5/03).
- Hotel earned the prestigious Quality Excellence Award for 01-02, presented to only the top 200 out of 3000 hotels.
- Managed $1.6 million renovation; completed without business disruption or inconvenience to guests.
- Dramatically improved employee morale and raised guest service scores from 76 to 96; implemented programs that immediately improved food and beverage scores by 20 points.
- Built strong relationships with clients, resulting in hotel consistently outperforming competition and maintaining client loyalty despite periods of economic downturn; raised ADR by 12% and RevPar by 13%.
- Grew revenues and GOP by 10% each while increasing occupancy by 4 points and ADR by $2.25 in the first year.
- Selected by senior management to act as interim general manager, evaluating, auditing and implementing strategies to improve performance at 12 other hotels throughout the nation.
Jan 1997 - Dec 1998
Crowne Plaza – The Silversmith Hotel
Spearheaded $10M renovation of historic landmark building to 143-room luxury hotel, managed profit performance, and supervised all departments. Only Crowne Plaza worldwide to open with a perfect 1000 quality inspection score. Hotel opened and remained entirely Non-Union in all departments.
- Recruited 75 employees in all areas of operations; managed all department heads.
- Led hotel to rank #2 in quality and service out of 60 properties throughout North and South America.
- Exceeded goals and boosted ADR from $149.00 to $169.00; consistently improved budgeted occupancy.
- Initiated and executed creative sales/marketing programs that contributed to business growth.
- Developed policy and procedural manuals and related documents for department operations; authored and designed all guest directories. Oversaw installation of new property management system and trained all staff.
Jan 1995 - Jan 1997
Holiday Inn Express Chicago – Palatine
Turned around and directed the largest Holiday Inn Express nationwide, a new property with 183 rooms, 40 employees and an attached 60,000 sq ft health club.
- Credited as the first manager to rebuild hotel’s reputation, increase employee morale and grow annual revenues to $2.8 M.
- More than doubled the occupancy rate to 66.2% with $66.21 ADR within a year.
- Elevated hotel to rank #1 in region for 2 years, and in the top 6% worldwide for quality and guest satisfaction.
Assistant General Manager & Controller
Jan 1992 - Jan 1995
Holiday Inn Express Chicago – Schaumburg
Fulfilled a diverse scope of responsibilities in day-to-day administrative and financial operations of the property, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and cash management.
- Saved company money in outsourcing fees to accounting firm through conversion to an automated system.
- Managed installation of Holiday Inn Hotel PMS; coordinated development and testing of new software product.
- Trained and developed personnel in front office operations, reservations procedures and on the state-of-the-art PMS.
Sep 1982 - Jun 1983