Great Performances, NYC's premier catering and events company, is a dynamic and influential leader in the food and events industry and is known for its dedication to social responsibility and sustainability. We are the exclusive caterer to many high-profile NYC institutions including, The Plaza Hotel, Jazz at Lincoln Center, Apollo Theater, Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Academy of Music, and Wave Hill. We operate more than 10 restaurants, cafes and food trucks; produce thousands of events in more than 100 venues across NYC; and support numerous festivals and special events including the New York City Wine and Food Festival. Great Performances is the first catering company to own and operate its own organic farm-Katchkie Farm, in Kinderhook, NY.
Our mission: Collaborative commitment to service, innovation, and quality. Our values: Engagement, Adaptability, Pride, Responsibility, Knowledge and Professionalism
Grow your culinary career with us! Great Performances seeks a sous chef at one of our venues. We are looking for individuals with high energy levels, professionalism, supervisory experience, and work well in a team environment. This position requires working daytime hours Monday through Friday.
The Sous Chef is directly responsible for the effective operation of the venue kitchen. He/she is responsible for directing cooks to prepare the highest quality products according to the Great Performances' standards. The Sous Chef must maintain food and labor costs in line with the annual budget, and ensure all events and locations receive the necessary and appropriate food required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Schedule and forecast the needs of culinary staff in the production kitchen according to business levels
- Provide training and development for culinary staff
- Mentor staff and oversee performance management
- Maintain food costs at or below budget
- Oversee production of all food items according to Great Performances standards and guidelines
- Reviewing menu items for accuracy, freshness and consistency
- Maintaining a recipe system
- Troubleshoot any issues as they arise
- Review production needs for each event prior to and during production, ensuring accuracy, quality and portioning needs are met
- Work closely with the Purchasing Department to ensure effective utilization of product
- Close kitchen down in organized and timely manner
- Organize Walk In Boxes for next day production
- Communicate the mission of Great Performances to all managers and employees
- Perform other duties as assigned to ensure overall operational success
- Successful completion of accredited culinary training program, an Associate's Degree or higher from an accredited culinary school, or an apprenticeship program.
- Minimum of 3-5 years' experience in Sous Chef position or higher in a quality high volume off premises catering/banquet establishment.
- Able to handle high volume production and ordering.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team of up to 15 people.
- Computer skills a must.
- Food Handler's Certificate a plus.
Great Performances is an Equal Opportunity Employer.