blocHaus is forging a new standard in the design industry, enveloping a multitude of disciplines to create thoughtful and captivating interior spaces.
Since its inception in 2009 blocHaus has established itself as a multi-disciplinary boutique interiors and architectural design and fabrication firm, located in Chicago, IL. We specialize in Hospitality Interior Design, with a focus on Hotels and Restaurants.
Our designs are carefully curated and tailored to reflect the unique vision of each client, while addressing the specific operational needs of the project.
We are excited to announce we are currently hiring for two exciting positions, Senior Designer, and Mid-Level Designer.
Here's what you'll be doing:
- Utilize your experience in all phases and aspects of the interior design process including predesign, conceptual design, schematic design, design development, design documentation, FF&E specifications, construction administration and understanding of FF&E procurement process
- Prepare preliminary design concepts and alternatives for review by senior management
- Assist with the selection of FF&E materials, space planning and programming for design projects
- Produce drawings, documentation, and design presentations including graphic sketches, renderings, graphics and selection of colors, materials, finishes and furniture
- Assist design efforts and coordinate with consultants and outside vendors throughout the design process
- Utilize knowledge of hospitality furniture and technology, and custom furniture and lighting solutions, finishes, materials, color selections, and ID specifications
- Independently create material palettes and inspiration image boards
- Manage and complete project tasks in accordance with project schedules
- Perform quality control exercises of one's own work
- Resolve complex technical/design issues, provide support to project team
- Participate in client and consultant meetings and presentations
- Bachelor/Master's Degree from a CIDA-accredited Interior Design program
- Minimum 2-5 years of experience (2-3 Mid-Level, 5+ Senior-Level) in custom, creative hospitality design, planning, lighting, and operations knowledge required
- Current certification with NCIDQ, and/or plans to sit for the exam as a priority strongly preferred
- Proficient in AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUp, Bluebeam, Microsoft Office, Excel and Outlook
- Accomplished understanding and knowledge of hospitality design principles and theory, color, materials, and finishes
- Knowledge of construction materials, Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment (FF&E) specifications/providers/vendors, particularly applicable to hospitality design
- Knowledge of building codes, standards and building systems and structures
- Understands conventional construction methods and techniques and how to document them appropriately
- Excellent graphic design, organizational, time management, and written and verbal communication skills
- Passionate, detail oriented, self-starting, motivated, dedicated, efficient
- Enjoys both taking responsibility and team collaboration
- Displays strong creative interior design skills including concept development and hand sketching
Life at blocHaus:
- AtblocHaus, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design charrettes, our office reflects our people's diverse interests.
- We encourage every person atblocHaus to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, paid holidays, and paid time off. We also offer commissions to our employees who bring projects to our firm.
- As part of the firm's commitment to licensure and professional development,blocHaus offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.
- blocHaus is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All aspects of employment decisions will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the bases of any status protected under federal, state, or local law. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability you may contact us here. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our colleagues.
If interested please email your resume, and three (3) samples of your work in PDF form.