Monday, December 30, 2019
Job title: Line cook
Job location: Chicago, IL
Position type: part-time
About the Second City
The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through fearless comedy, the company's ten resident stages in Chicago and Toronto, plus eight Touring Companies and a booming Theatricals division, entertain over one million theatergoers per year. The Second City Training Center, which includes the Harold Ramis Film School, is the largest school of comedy on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles. Second City Works is the professional services side of the company, serving more than 600 clients -including nearly 25% of the Fortune 500- through hands-on learning, licensed and custom video, consumer marketing programs, and custom live entertainment.
Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity. POSITION SUMMARY
This position is for professional cooks looking to gain knowledge and experience in a fast-paced, creative atmosphere. We are looking for hard-working individuals who are enthusiastic to learn.
A great attitude and hard work ethic goes a long way.
Schedule: The ideal candidate for this position is available during evenings and should be flexible to adjust as needed. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set up and stocking stations with all necessary supplies
- Prepare food for service (e.g. chopping vegetables, butchering meat, or preparing sauces)
- Cook menu items in cooperation with the rest of the kitchen staff
- Answer, report and follow Kitchen Manager or Kitchen Supervisor instructions
- Clean up station and take care of leftover food
- Stock inventory appropriately
- Ensure that food comes out simultaneously, in high quality and in a timely fashion
- Comply with nutrition and sanitation regulations and safety standards
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and customers
- Monitor product freshness and rotate out old product following FIFO method
- 1 years' experience preferred
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to lead by example
- Ability to work calmly under pressure
- Strong attention to cleanliness and efficiency
- Ability to multitask
- Food Handler's Certification or ServSafe Certified
- Food Allergens Training is a plus
- Food preparation skills and knowledge of HACCP standards
- Ability to lift bend and carry up to 40 lbs.
- Maintain attention to detail while working in a high-volume environment.
Every day is a high volume day with peaks and valleys as theatergoers arrive and order within a small window. Special events happen regularly in the theaters. These events often happen at the same time as regular service. Only the candidates with love of this rush should apply.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.
The Second City is an e-verify employer. E-Verify is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Your employment is contingent upon employment authorization from e-verify.
The Second City is an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.