SCOPE OF WORK: Executive Chef
Founded in 2007, we opened our first Downtown Los Angeles Restaurant & Patisserie in 2009 to specialize in the fine dining, bakery, patisserie, café, gourmet products and gifting businesses. Our Downtown Los Angeles Restaurant & Patisserie is the highest grossing independent restaurant in California, has the most yelp.com reviews of any business in the United States and has twice been named the most photogenic business. We are currently building our second location in West Hollywood, opening in 2020, and expect to open one location per year beginning in 2022.
We develop premier landmark Restaurants & Patisseries to provide our industry's most premium Guest Experience at a reasonable price. We operate Bottega Louie Restaurants & Patisseries with a deeply instilled ethic of personalized service and pair our operations with the sound financial discipline required to achieve a fair and reasonable profit so that we ensure the prosperity of the Company, attract capital to grow and provide long term sustainable benefits to our Guests and Employees.
We are committed to operating the Company as an idea meritocracy in which meaningful work and meaningful relationships are pursued through radical truth and transparency. Continually striving together to discover, develop and administer the most effective system and tools will produce our industry's best accessible luxury Guest experience at a reasonable price.
Our greatest asset in discovering, developing and administering systems and tools, and the largest contributing factor to our success, is our people. We believe it is our responsibility to provide the opportunity for each Employee to pursue pride, professional progress and satisfaction in what we do. Because satisfying our discerning Guests depends on the united efforts of many, we are most effective when we work together as a team and respect each other's contribution and significance.
As a Bottega Louie employee, you will report to the General Manager. You will work in a team environment where each member is critical to producing the premium Guest Experiences that exceed the needs and tastes of our discerning Guests. We offer above market salary and benefit packages; and opportunities for growth, development and a clear path to professional progress. We pride ourselves on our fast-paced culture that is supported by leaders who propel you to your full potential. If you believe you'd excel in this type of environment, please consider Bottega Louie and work with those at the forefront of their industry to produce the premium accessible luxury Guest Experience enjoyed by thousands daily. The Executive Chef position is based in Los Angeles. As an Executive Sous, you are essential to the success of the company. Your responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Food is prepared according to recipe specifications.
- Shifts are set up according to appropriate checklists.
- All stations are ready at specified times.
- BOH staff has the appropriate tools and supplies each shift.
- Stations impacted by the volume of business are reinforced before the guest experience is negatively affected.
- Conduct and document line checks every shift.
- Drive company standards, including uniform, grooming and timeliness of the staff each shift.
- Execute recipes daily to reinforce own recipe knowledge and technical skill set.
- All BOH systems, procedures, and protocols are followed and maintained.
- Train and coach kitchen staff to focus on recipe adherence.
- Teach proper cooking techniques.
- Manage safety and cleanliness standards each shift.
- Guests receive food product made to Bottega Louie recipes specifications.
- Food presentation guidelines are followed and enforced.
- All product storage areas are organized according to company standards.
- Food safety standards are rigorously applied.
- Make standard food calls throughout the shift.
- Identify product that is not in line with Bottega Louie quality standards and implement action to correct.
- Participate in food reviews, and weekly recipe reviews to ensure adherence.
- Production timing for all food meets company standards.
- Precise execution of all recipes allows for consistency in food quality.
- Make constructive calls on food each shift.
- Ensure that sufficient product is on hand and prepped so that we never run out of menu items.
- Daily labor cost goals are achieved by monitoring each shift.
- Assigned kitchen operating costs are achieved.
- Understand how to interpret and utilize profit tracking tools such as labor, overtime, and payroll exception report.
- Validate accuracy of orders delivered each shift.
- Use the appropriate and approved vendors for all food orders.
- Adhere to par levels and utilize order guides.
- Overtime with staff is an exception.
- Meal breaks are provided, scheduled, managed and enforced.
- Kitchen staff is in compliance with all company policies and procedures.
- A positive work environment exists in the kitchen.
- Improve and positively impact staff morale.
- Develop caring, professional relationships with BOH staff.
- Motivate staff through continued praise and coaching.
- Address poor performance and correct bad habits.
- Pass down a culture of excellence and promote a guest focus.
- Take an active role in new staff onboarding and training.
- Provide employees with objective evaluations.
- Take a part in supplemental employee training initiatives.
- Follow appropriate hiring and selection protocols.
- Recommend candidates that possess talent and cultural fit.
- Compare operation to the best local operators.
- Promote Bottega Louie within the market you operate in.
- All kitchen equipment is well maintained.
- Report repairs immediately.
- Make effort to understand and manage sanitation.
- Understand shelf life and continuously monitor product shelf life each shift.
- Order and maintain appropriate levels of first aid supply, cut gloves, and back braces.
- Report workplace injuries to Workers Comp Carrier immediately.
- Role model use of cutting cloves and other integral safety precautions.
- Resources are allocated to issues of greatest importance and returns.
- Long term goals govern short term activities.
- Proper emphasis is placed on planning to achieve desired results.
- Solicits involvement from others in development of goals/plans.
- Performance and result expectations are clearly understood.
- Effectively delegates responsibility.
- Communication is timely, direct, and honest.
- Able to obtain understanding and support in face of opposition.
- Is a strong participant in team efforts.
- All Key Operating Indicators are routinely monitored.
- Quality and frequency of measurement reflects importance of results.
- Has a sense of urgency in everything that s/he does.
- Role is senior level "exempt" position and not eligible for overtime
EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
- At least (5) years of experience required in a similar position, ideally in a high production, luxury concepts
- Eager to support the company in any way he/she can
- Knowledgeable and well versed in European-style pastries, breads, confections, and chocolate work
- Required to work independently and as part of a team, and effectively manage you and your direct reports' time
- Required to exhibit helpful, supportive communication style and are collaborative within a structured job environment
- Required to lift up to 50 lbs
- Required to be able to sit at a computer or at a desk or on your feet for extended period of time
- Required to be able to easily sit, stand, stoop, reach, and walk
- Required to perform manual labor for up to 8 hours a day
- Proficient knowledge of Excel and other Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours, as needed or called upon