Restaurant General Manager
The General Manager directs the operation of an assigned unit by performing the duties outlined below.
Essential duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain professional functional working relationships with IHOP restaurant hourly employees, Corporate and Regional employees, and guests.
- Implement the IHOP 101 team member training program for all restaurant hourly employees, to improve unit operations and the guest experience.
- Execute annual financial, local restaurant marketing, guest service, and human resource objectives, strategies and tactics for assigned unit as defined by the current Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and current operations plan.
- Manage the restaurant floor and focus on regular contact with guests.
- Maintain the frequency of guest complaints within acceptable limits and handle complaints in a professional and timely manner.
- Ensure approved comment cards are in use and acted upon.
- Comply with federal, state, and local regulations that are applicable to the assigned unit.
- Recruit, train and retain employees as defined by the current SOP and operations plan for the assigned unit.
- Maintain turnover within acceptable limits.
- Conduct on-going coaching and administer the restaurant hourly compensation plan.
- Assure performance appraisals and that merit increases (if applicable) are given as scheduled.
- Properly document performance problems. Communicate and enforce policies on 1) sexual harassment, 2) discrimination, 3) diversity. Maintain crewmember appearance and uniform standards.
- Ensure food is in compliance with SOP in the areas of specifications, recipes, plating, and garnishes.
- Ensure food is presented well and served at appropriate temperatures, within standard ticket times.
- Control guest checks and follow proper register/cash-handling procedures.
- Implement national and local marketing promotions, including the use of the correct Point of Purchase (POP), posters, and placements. Keep menus clean and in good condition.
- Use Family Friendly promotional items as described in the marketing section of the SOP
- Complete all required reports and paperwork.
- Handle paperwork accurately and on a timely basis.
- Maintain personnel files with appropriate employment and legal documents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Directly supervise Assistant Managers and restaurant hourly employees at assigned unit. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the Company unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and two to four years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to speak and read English and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of guests or restaurant employees.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rates, ratios, and percentages and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- A valid Driver s License will be necessary to drive a car on Company business.
- Certification through assigned IHOP training courses as assigned.K
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.