Job Title Cook I Worksite City Sacramento, California Advertised Salary Range $14.22 - $17.77 Temporary No Length of Appointment N/A Hours per week Regular (full-time) Employee - 40 hours per week (Benefited) FLSA Non-Exempt Broad Scope and Function The position is responsible for the preparation, cooking and serving of a variety of food items and products for University Enterprises Dining Services and maintains excellent quality and food safety standards in a high volume food service environment. This position works closely with other food service staff in a cooperative working environment. The Cook I is distinguished from the Fry Cook by preparing a wider variety of menu items.
Reporting Relationship The position reports directly to and receives general supervision from the Dining Services Manager. May monitor and direct the work of student assistants. May receive guidance or direction from the Executive Chef.
Conditions of Employment This is a 40 hour per week, non-exempt (eligible for overtime pay), benefited position. Work hours and schedule may be subject to changes during semester breaks and summer sessions. This position is not covered under the California Public Employees Retirement System. This classification is covered by a Labor Agreement between the CSUEU Service Employees' International Union, Local 2579 and University Enterprises, Inc. Dining Service Operations.
Work Schedule Work schedule will be based on business needs which could include evenings and weekends.
Minimum Qualifications 1. Demonstrated increasingly responsible work experience in quantity food preparation, cooking, and service.
2. Knowledge of the principles and methods for preparing and cooking a variety of food items; operation, maintenance, and use of kitchen equipment; food service sanitation and safety.
3. Ability to read and understand written and oral English instructions, including but not limited to procedures and recipes.
4. Ability to prepare and cook of a variety of food items to order in front of customers; estimate proper quantities for economical food service; operate a variety of kitchen equipment; assist with menu planning and development; maintain proper standards of sanitation and safety; maintain records; effectively communicate orally and in writing; and maintain effective working relationships.
5. Ability to perform up to all sanitation/ HACCP daily standards.
6. Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
7. Must pass a background check, which may include fingerprinting. Must continue to meet the established standards.
Preferred Qualifications 1. Possession of a valid California Food Handlers Card.
Physical Requirements Stand for extended periods and frequently walk (20% standing, 80% walking); manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; corrected hearing and vision to normal range; verbal communication; reaching and lifting up to 60 lbs; use of kitchen equipment.
Working Conditions Work is performed in a restaurant and kitchen environment; exposure to heat and moisture; continuous contact with staff, the campus community, and the public.
Job Duty 01. Prepares, cooks, and serves a variety of food items and products for customers and maintains excellent quality and food safety standards in a high volume food service environment. Directs student staff on proper cooking techniques, production volume, quality and food safety standards.
Job Duty 02. Prepares menu items following standardized recipes and daily and weekly production orders, ensuring that all items are produced in a timely manner; reviews menus and determines with other staff who will prepare which dishes; may assist with menu planning and development, including testing new recipes. Arranges for prompt utilization of unused food and maintains continued awareness of proper quantities and quality during food preparation.
Job Duty 03. Prepares the cooking area, ensuring that proper variety and quantities of food are available for menu preparation. Keeps work area clean during the shift. Uses proper sanitation and safety standards in food preparation. Ensures proper portions and quality standards are met. Ensures all HACCP Guidelines are met. Responsible for leaving the work area clean and sanitary at the end of the shift.
Job Duty 04. Cooks breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night, and/or brunch entrees and accompaniments depending on the schedule. May prepare menu items in front of customers and/or "Cook to Order" at exhibition stations in front of the customers. Maintains excellent customer service skills and engages the customers with a pleasant and professional attitude. May be required to work at other UEI Dining Service units, as needed.
Job Duty 05. Provides input on supplies and food items to be ordered for menu preparation. May coordinate storage of newly delivered products when shipments from vendors arrive, using proper rotation techniques and following HACCP guidelines.
Job Duty 06. Performs a variety of food service and preparation assistance that may include a variety of cooking methods. May assist with weekly food inventory.
Job Duty 07. Uses a wide variety of food service equipment, including grills, ovens, fryers, mixers, food processors, and other equipment used in a commercial kitchen. Identifies and reports problems regarding equipment malfunctions. Maintains records; completes daily usage report and food waste reports noting amounts used for all meals on every shift to calculate food costs. Assists with Campus sustainability efforts as needed.
Job Duty 08. Follows all written recipes precisely as written to ensure the Nutrition Fact sheets are accurate.
Job Duty 09. Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number B016F19 Number of Vacancies 1 Position End Date (if temporary) Open Date 09/27/2019 Close Date 10/11/2019 Open Until Filled No Special Instructions Summary If you do not include both a cover letter and resume with your application, your application materials will not be considered. Please include your employment history in the "Employment Experience" section of your application in addition to submitting your resume and cover letter.
Supplemental Questions Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this position?
- UEIJobs Website
- Interest Card Emails
- Career Fair
- Campus Career Center
- Personal Referral
- Sacramento Bee
- Internal Job Posting
- The WELL hiring expo
- If other, please specify. (Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have work experience in quantity food preparation, cooking and service?
- * Please describe your increasingly responsible work experience specific to quantity food preparation, cooking and service. (Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have knowledge of the principles and methods for preparing and cooking a variety of food items?
- * Please describe your knowledge of the principles and methods for preparing and cooking a variety of food items. (Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have knowledge of the operation, maintenance, and use of kitchen equipment, food service sanitation and safety?
- * Please describe your knowledge in the areas of kitchen equipment, food service sanitation and safety. (Open Ended Question)
- * Do you possess a valid California Food Handlers Card? (not required to be considered for this position)
Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter