Facility: St. Anthony Hospital
Department: Food & Nutrition Services
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Status: Per Diem
CHI Franciscan Health has exciting and rewarding careers with competitive salaries and benefits. We are a family of hospitals, health care services, and medical providers delivering compassionate care to people throughout the South Puget Sound. We are part of Catholic Health Initiatives, one of the largest not-for-profit health care systems in the country.
Our mission is to deliver high quality care that meets our patients' medical needs while providing emotional and spiritual support to patients and their families. We believe this three-part approach - physical, emotional, and spiritual - is essential to healing the whole person. Come join our team!
Prepares food products in an institutional setting utilizing basic and advanced cooking techniques, standardized recipes and plating guidelines. Work involves meeting production schedules in accordance with health, safety and sanitary standards, guidelines and regulatory requirements. An incumbent is accountable for the quality of food items prepared, ensuring proper utilization and storage of food and supplies, and for maintaining the orderliness and cleanliness of equipment, supplies and work areas.
Food handling activities are performed in accordance with external and internal guidelines and regulatory guidelines, and an employee works effectively to minimize waste during the flow of food while maintaining a quality end product. Work includes accurate cash handling and incumbents must accurately follow internal procedures and conform to established standards. In addition, work includes setting up and delivering catering orders to appropriate customers.
While there is some overlap in job duties performed at the Cook I level, this job differs by the application of advanced cooking techniques to food preparation, knowledge of a wide variety of cuisines from different cultures, performing cooking demonstrations, involvement in menu planning and recipe development and providing culinary expertise with respect to catered functions.
Essential Job Duties:
* Applies advanced cooking techniques such as sautéing, poaching, braising, searing, preparing batters and making recipe/ingredient substitutions to the preparation of primarily non-short order food items.
* Applies knowledge of a wide variety of cuisines from different cultures to the development/customization of standard recipes and the preparation of food items.
* May perform, as required, any or all of the Essential Job Functions set forth in the Cook I (job code 9301) job description.
* Participates in menu planning and recipe development activities; performs public cooking demonstrations utilizing advanced culinary techniques.
* Performs work assignments in accordance with regulations and standards applicable to personal hygiene and food preparation/handling/disposal; keeps abreast of department standards, as well as local, state, and federal agency guidelines.
* Provides counsel, from a culinary perspective, on the planning and execution of catered functions and events; ensures that food is prepared, delivered and set up in a timely manner and in accordance with the agreed-upon menu.
Education/Work Experience Requirements:
Two years of related food preparation experience that demonstrates attainment of the requisite job knowledge/abilities preferably in a full-service restaurant/hotel fine dining establishment. Experience in a formal apprenticeship program is preferred.
Valid Department of Health Food Handler's permit issued by the State of Washington.
* Requisition ID: 2019-R
* Schedule: Per Diem
* Shift: Variable
* Market: CHI-Franciscan St. Anthony Hospital