Nature & scope
Assists the Maintenance Director with all aspects of maintenance of the physical plant and external grounds.
Minimum eligibility requirements
• Experience in maintenance and repair of machinery, equipment and building.
• Knowledge of fire and safety regulations.
• Ability to work with outside vendors and monitor their work.
• Experience in grounds maintenance.
• Experience in safe electrical and plumbing repair.
• Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with others whether involved with residents, their families or the public at large.
• Must have compassion for and desire to work with the elderly.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to represent the community in a positive and professional manner.
• Ability to establish effective relationships with residents, family members and staff.
• High level of ability in effective and succinct communication, written and oral with residents, families, staff, vendors and the general public
• Must be capable of maintaining fulltime attendance
• Must meet all health requirements, including TB screening
• Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities (essential job functions), with or without reasonable accommodation
• Must pass criminal background check
• Must have reliable transportation
• Willing and able to adapt to changing demands of the maintenance department and fulfill any job that is required.
• Is helpful and polite to residents, understanding their needs and respecting their privacy and personal property.
• Keeps the maintenance storage areas clean, neat and organized at all times.
• Is available and on call for emergencies day and night.
• Responsible for preventive maintenance of interior and exterior of buildings and equipment.
• Make repairs in occupied apartments.
• Make repairs, repaint and shampoo carpets in turnover units.
• Assist residents with requests for assistance with temperature adjustment, hanging pictures and other requests within their apartments.
• Responsible for the oversight of grounds maintenance.
• Responsible to notify plant operations director of all aspects of maintenance.
• Responsible to assist and/or conduct all fire and safety drills
• Responsible to conduct orientation program for new employees.
Joint decisions & duties between Maintenance Assistant and Plant Operations Director:
• Participate in daily standup meetings.
Weekly meeting with plant operations director
• Responsible for ensuring that all are greeted with excellent customer service
• Ensures compliance and understanding of all regulations regarding residents' rights
• Attends training sessions as directed by supervisor.
• Follow & communicate company policies and procedures
• The job description provides a framework for the job, other duties may be assigned as necessary
Working conditions (travel, hours, environment)
• Has a do-what-it-takes frame of mind and operates with an ownership attitude.
• Move often during working hours.
• Is subject to frequent interruptions.
• Is involved with resident, personnel, and visitors under all conditions and circumstances.
• Is subject to hostile and emotionally upset residents, family members, staff and visitors.
• Communicate with all department supervisors and staff.
• Is subject to call-back during emergency conditions (e.g., severe weather, evacuation, post-disaster, etc.).
• Is subject to injury from falls, burns from equipment, odors, etc., through the workday, as well as to reactions from dust, disinfectants, tobacco smoke, and other air contaminants.
• Is subject to exposure to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including TB and the AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses.
• Medium work: ability to exert 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
• Experience extreme change in temperature at times and may be exposed to higher than normal temperatures while working.
OSHA category classification
II: Potential for exposure to bloodborne pathogen