Seasoned professional culinary leader committed to achieving excellence in all aspects of food production and kitchen management. The ideal candidate will possess unsurpassed culinary skills, creativity, interpersonal and leadership skills, a talent for organization and administration, and a thorough understanding of the fiscal aspects of the restaurant business. Oversees all Back of the House activity and staff while promoting a safe team-oriented working environment. Ensures an excellent guest experience by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following and other duties as assigned.
• Oversees entirety of kitchen operations: food sourcing and ordering, recipe creation, preparation and presentation, staffing, scheduling, purchasing, hiring, training, inventory, cost control, menu pricing, sanitation and food safety
- Consults with General Manager in visualizing overall restaurant theme, developing menus, creating new dishes that promote the restaurant concept.
- Analyzes recipes, sources premium local ingredients whenever possible; analyzes food, labor and overhead costs to recommend menu pricing.
- Works with Events Manager to create and price menus for venue special events, and oversees preparation of customized menu offerings and tastings for prospective clients
• Schedules and supervises cooking and other kitchen personnel, coordinating their assignments to ensure economical and timely food production.
• Observes methods of food preparation and cooking, sizes of portions, and garnishing of foods to ensure food is prepared and plated in prescribed manner.
• Tastes, smells, and inspects food to ensure conformance with recipes and appearance standards.
- Recruits and hires kitchen staff; familiarizes newly hired Chefs and Cooks with practices of kitchen and oversees training of Cook Apprentices
- Initiates and oversees staff development, technical training and increasing skillsets of kitchen staff.
- Oversees flow of service, analyzing and refining operational systems
- Minimizes waste by proper food storage, rotation of stored items and creating dishes to utilize food surpluses
- Monitors inventory, sets par levels and places orders for foodstuffs and kitchen supplies.
- Ensures timely and accurate inventory reporting.
- Establishes and enforces best practices for Food Safety and sanitation standards for restaurant.
- Abides by TSG Culinary Services' Grooming and Hygiene policy.
Directly supervises 5-35 employees in the Back of House, and ensures their compliance with safety and food safety practices. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include scheduling, interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have advanced knife skills.
- Must have thorough knowledge of operation and maintenance of all kitchen equipment.
- 3-5 years kitchen management experience - culinary degree preferred but not required.
- Must possess and maintain current Kitchen (Food Safety) Manager Certification from the National Restaurant Association-Servsafe or comparable certification.
- Thorough knowledge of safety best practices of food handling and storage.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Culinary degree or 2 years experience as sous chef in restaurants or 5 years experience as lead line cook in restaurant; 2 years or more of Supervisory experience.
Fluency in the English language: read, write, speak clearly and effectively. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Knowledge of Spanish and other languages desirable
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, and service charges, interest, proportions, percentages, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be competent in use of Excel spreadsheet and Word processing software, internet use, and working knowledge of POS systems.
• Must be available to work nights, weekends and holidays.
• Employees working at on-mountain venues must be able to ski/snowboard at an intermediate level and pass company on-snow assessment.
• Must be able to work effectively at altitude of 10,000 ft or above.
• Must be able to function effectively in inclement weather conditions.
• Must be able to lift at least 100 lbs.
• While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; see, talk, hear and taste and smell. The employee is frequently required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Wage Range for this position is $60,000-$75,000 plus commission DOE
FTYR Benefits include Group Health (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & AD&D), 401(K) match, Flexible Spending, Paid Time Off, Mix of Vacation Time/Sick Time
Benefits include ski pass, dependent passes (for full time commitment), discounted lift tickets, lift tickets at other CO resorts, discounted employee shuttles and discounted meals and lodging and ski school discounts