This position will lead Quality and Food Safety programs at Tropicale Foods, Inc. This includes leading implementation and on-going program management/oversight of Safe Quality Foods (SQF) Certification, compliance to Tropicale Foods corporate Quality Assurance / Food Safety requirements and other related initiatives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Lead integration of the current quality assurance and food safety processes into one integrated process. This includes HACCP system, regulatory audits, quality systems review process (QSR), standard operating procedures (SOP's), incoming ingredient inspections, product scoring, food safety audits, field complaints, standardized work instructions.
• Develop and execute SQF plans to achieve/maintain SQF Certification at the facility(s) and to meet all Tropicale Foods requirements related to quality and food safety programs.
• Oversee plant(s) compliance and interactions with SQF Certification Body.
• Manage Quality Control Department
• Assure facility(s) meets all requirements related to SQF Trademark use.
• Develop and maintain systems to assure compliance to all SQF requirements including
Commitment, Document Control and Records, Specifications, Attaining Food Safety, Verification, Product Identification Trace and Recall, Incident Management, Food Safety Fundamentals - Building and Equipment Design and Construction, and Food Safety Fundamentals - Pre-requisite Programs.
• Manage finished product evaluation system and provide leadership to drive improvements in key customer/consumer Quality attributes.
• Train and maintain all training records for critical food safety and quality requirements. Document and maintain training registry for all employees at the manufacturing site(s).
• Oversee monitoring, verification, and validation activities to ensure that all products leaving the facility(s) meet Tropicale's Food Safety and Quality standards.
• Provide guidance and leadership in situations where deviations have occurred or a potential risk has been identified related to food safety and/or quality attributes.
• Establishing quality system compliance objectives and ensuring that targets are achieved.
• Institute and maintaining control and documentation procedures.
• Organize and manage quality system management function in close co-operation with customers, management, and operations teams.
• Conduct SQF, Food Safety Program, Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Points (HACCP), and the Food Defense Program audits, gap analysis, and corrective action implementation as well as serve as the primary team leader in regard to external audits.
• Maintain quality system management registrations and quality manual.
• Develop and implement a variety of procedures and management systems to ensure compliance with pertinent food regulations (GMP, SQF, HACCP, and Plant Inspections) and product specifications.
• Lead company GFSI or ISO certification processes
• Reassess SQF plan(s) whenever there is a change to program, process, procedure, ingredient, equipment, industry philosophy, technology, etc.
• Bachelor's degree in Food Safety, Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Science, or other science related field.
• 5+ years of progressive food processing experience, with at least 3 years in a management capacity within a manufacturing environment under HACCP, USDA and/or FDA.
• 3+ years facilitating food safety/quality related training events.
• Demonstrate leadership in the areas of food safety, plant regulatory and Quality Assurance.
• Previous experience with Safe Quality Foods or SQF Expert Practitioner is a plus.
• HACCP Certification from a nationally / internationally recognized and accredited HACCP training firm
• Possess a thorough understanding of FDA and/or USDA inspected manufacturing facilities
• Comprehensive experience with FDA and/or USDA Rules and Regulations
• Must have strong organizational, leadership and communication skills
• Ability to analyze processes for Biological, Chemical, and Physical hazards with a thorough understanding of the science and support behind each type of hazard and each step within a production process
• Able to work with cross functional departments within the organization
• Good problem solving and corrective action/resolution skills
• Strong computer skills with experience using Word, Excel, Access, Power Point.
• Excellent skills for leading or facilitating multi-organizational teams to success on complex multidimensional projects.
• Excellent communication skills in order to build teams to lead progress to plan and to get management support and buy-in for complex projects.
• Provide guidance and leadership in situations where deviations have occurred or a potential risk has been identified related to food safety and/or beverage quality attributes.
• Desire to own decisions and take responsibility for outcomes.
• Willingness to travel when required.
• Demonstrated experience in development and implementation of Quality Management System, internal and external audits, implementing HACCP, ISO 9001/22000, GMP quality systems, quality system design and remediation, facility audits/inspections, quality metrics and staff development.
• Must be able to attain GFSI, SQF, IFS, SAFE or equivalent sector audit certification within assigned time-frame from employment.
• Must possess and demonstrate solid analytical and problem solving skills.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus