Please note, this position is located at Steamboat Resort in Steamboat Springs, CO.
Who We Are: Steamboat- Ski Town, U.S.A. is known as the friendliest mountain destination in the world, thanks to our western heritage and welcoming staff. We pride ourselves on hiring the best employees and providing the best experience in the industry. Our employee satisfaction scores top the charts and we have employees who choose to work for the resort for 2, 5, 10, 20 plus years. Fair warning, starting a job at Steamboat could lead to endless fun, lifelong friendships, and a rooted sense of community.
Who We're Looking For: Friendly folks who want to work at the best ski resort, play in Champagne Powder and meet friends from around the world. Our culture is supportive, challenging, passionate and committed and we believe that diversity makes us stronger. We are looking for unique individuals who exemplify these qualities and care about each other, our mission, our environment and our communities. If you like to provide incredible guest service with a friendly attitude, you're ready to join our team. If your dream job includes skiing and riding, interacting with guests, rewarding work, free concerts, fireworks, employee parties and more-we'd love to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits: All Steamboat employees are eligible for a Steamboat and Alterra Mountain ski pass for you and eligible dependents, competitive compensation, free bus passes to surrounding areas, retail/rental discounts, food & beverage discounts, industry pro deal discounts, friends & family discounted tickets (subject to restrictions, reservations and/or blackout dates.) Steamboat also offers a 401(k) plan with a generous company match, (eligibility rules apply), Employee Assistance Program, and a chance to learn and advance within Steamboat Ski & Resort Corp. Steamboat employees are also eligible for discounted tuition with partner online universities for all Alterra Mountain Company employees to further their education. Employees who are Year Round (Full-Time or Flex Year Round) are eligible for medical, dental, vision, legal plan, pet insurance, PTO and Vacation, Paid Parental Leave, health saving account with employer contribution as well as the perks and benefits that all Steamboat employees enjoy.
Steamboat is looking for talented chefs to join our team. You will be considered for all resort locations based off skill. Come join us for our winter next winter season
Detailed job description, including responsibilities, work performed, tools or equipment used, etc.:
- Supervise, coordinate, and participate in the daily operations of kitchen facilities. Assist Director of Culinary regarding food handling including rotation and sanitation. Support Resort Culinary Management team in supervisory role as manager on duty when necessary.
- Abide by and ensure compliance with established health and safety procedures as well as department/and company policies & procedures. Ensure temperature logs are completed daily, and complete full Food Safety Audit once per week.
- Plan and develop with Director of Culinary, menus for outlets and all specialty menus research, develop, modify, and test recipes
- Ensure continual training of staff. Motivate and inspire culinary team. Ensure communications are done professionally and daily. Plan staffing needs and work schedules. Conduct training as determined by management.
- Oversee the proper operation and maintenance of all kitchen equipment. Report all observations of damaged/ dangerous equipment. Properly store food and equipment in correct and allotted areas.
- Organize stations to create greatest efficiency and keep work area and kitchen organized and clean at all times. Maintain all procedures set up in all areas. Supervise the cleaning and organizing of all walk-in refrigerators and freezers and other storage areas.
- Open and close kitchen according to schedule/guidelines/assignments. Create, use, and follow through of prep lists, cleaning list, and closing lists. Oversee and directly supervise all food preparation, quantity, and production activities. Receive food and properly store in correct and allotted areas. Audit portion control and quality on a continual basis.
- Supervise and coordinate food, supply, equipment, and inventory control purchasing for operation. Coordinate food and menu costing (COGS). Work directly with purchasing agent on par levels and supply management. Meet and exceed all budgetary goals in regard to Cost of Goods and Labor expense.
- Ensure enforcement of company appearance and uniform standards.
- Attend weekly food and beverage Manager Meetings.
- Perform other tasks, as assigned.
- Positions on mountain required ability to ride or ski to work.
Minimum skills, experience, education, and ability required for this job:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates degree in culinary arts and 2 years of relevant professional cooking experience in resort or high-end facilities, or a combination of education and experience from which-comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Must have a valid driver's license, successfully complete motor vehicle record check, and meet company insurance standards.
- Must have a minimum 2 years' experience Lead Cook or Chef capacity at a restaurant OR equivalent as a Banquet Chef or a Restaurant Chef
- Prior experience must include strong abilities in all applicable cooking techniques and practices, mastery of a variety of kitchen equipment, mastered knife skills (and can teach others), ability to produce excellent from-scratch products, broad and in-depth professional knowledge, and skills in food preparation, cooking and presentation
- Prior management experience required: must be able to supervise all stations and operate to standards, to expedite production line during service period, deal effectively with a variety of company personnel and outside vendors, and must have planning, administrative, and budget management experience
- Must be able to work at a high pace, be a team player, and be able to work well with co-workers, to maintain and influence a positive work environment and motivate others and lead people in correct procedures and follow through
- Computer skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word, as well as Food Trak, preferred
- Must be able to lift approximately 50 lbs. (i.e. a sack of potatoes or stacked supplies)
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, standing or walking for up to six hours
- Extended smell, taste, peripheral sight, color, and depth vision are essential
- Must be able to work indoors, heat and cold kitchen environment, handle knifes
- Ability to read, write, and speak fluently in English, Spanish a plus.
- Resume required
- This position is a salaried exempt position and is not subject to overtime pay
- Position requires working weekends and holidays as needed
- All Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation employees are required to follow adapting COVID policies and guidelines.
The base salary range below represents the low and high end of the Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to experience, education, training, location, merit system, quantity or quality of production, responsibilities, and regular and/or necessary travel. The range listed is just one component of Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation's total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include short-term and long-term incentives and many region-specific benefits.
Steamboat area base salary range: Starting at $52,000
Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer