Please review the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Plan page for more details regarding your rights and obligations as a job candidate.
USC Auxiliary Services, one of the largest divisions at The University of Southern California, is focused on making a difference for over 65,000 students, athletes, faculty, staff, and guests who visit our campuses each day. Through our innovative services, our six central business units (USC Bookstores, USC Hospitality, USC Housing, USC Transportation, the USC Hotel and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum) collectively create the best USC experience for future leaders, scientists, filmmakers, engineers, and doctors alike. Auxiliary Services works tirelessly to welcome all visitors into the Trojan family. We are driven to succeed by our commitment to uphold our six unifying values in Integrity, Excellence, Well-Being, Open Communication, Accountability, and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion .
From fine dining restaurants to residential dining, USC Hospitality serves thousands of students, athletes, faculty, and staff, as well as our many visitors. Hospitality is one of the six core business units that comprise USC Auxiliary Services and one of the largest employers on campus. We are renowned for our fresh take on self-operated food concepts with restaurants between both campuses. The team at USC Hospitality is led by innovative executive chefs and directors who strive every day to craft nourishing and wholesome alternatives for our hungry Trojan Family and our guests.
We are seeking an Assistant Kitchen Manager (6 Month Fixed-Term) to join our rapidly growing team.
We set our standards high when it comes to the quality of our food and our customer service, with the expectation that all of our meals are fresh, innovative, healthy, and satisfying. Our Assistant Kitchen Manager will oversee all of these kitchen operations and ensure that we continue providing an exceptional guest experience. You will lead our team by supporting, motivating and educating each employee as well as creating a positive, customer-service oriented environment for our students, athletes, faculty, staff and visitors. We look forward to serving our guests and providing excellence in service, and expect that you will as well!
- Supervise staff to ensure they are following the standards set by USC Hospitality and the Health Department. Assign duties to staff on a daily and weekly basis using opening and closing checklists and/or weekly side work.
- Communicate changes from management to front line staff. Direct, guide, and motivate staff to achieve and meet the production and/or sales goals. Provide all staff with day-to-day goals and expectations. Train, guide, coach, and counsel employees. Conduct weekly meetings with staff members to discuss issues and concerns.
- Maintain a clear understanding of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Daily review of schedules to ensure lowest possible labor cost. Review and approve payroll.
- Participate in planning menus and plate presentation. Create recipes for new menus. Supervise and coordinate activities of food preparation. Ensure the par levels are correct and make adjustments based on volume.
- Cost out all specials and menu items to ensure proper budgeted food cost. Check waste logs and adjust pars accordingly to control food cost. Control food cost by spot checking portion sizes and ensuring quality products
- Take inventory on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Order products through CBORD.
- Data entry for the cash office, financial report, and closing report. Input the sales into the DSR.
- Print out the daily menus. Email daily recaps to management.
- Help train staff on new products/LTOs. Ensure staff attends the required trainings. Assist with staff reviews. Assist with interviewing and hiring new culinary specialists.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: Specialized or technical training.
- Experience: 2 years.
- Experience in leadership role in high-volume, full-service kitchen environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pertinent local, federal, and state health and safety laws and regulations.
- Ability to supervise and train other workers.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
What We Prefer:
- Bachelor's Degree.
- 3 years of experience.
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment and procedures.
- Budgeting experience.
The Trojan Family Rewards:
We pride ourselves in creating the BEST USC EXPERIENCE , and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families. For more information please visit .
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
The annual base salary for this position is $64,480. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate's work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
Minimum Education: Specialized/technical training Minimum Experience: 2 years Minimum Field of Expertise: Two plus years experience in a leadership role within a high-volume, full service kitchen environment. Strong track record of success in previous assignments demonstrating upward career mobility. Demonstrated knowledge of pertinent local, federal and state health and safety laws and regulations.