The Lead Kitchen Assistant is assigned to support and assist the Apple Pie Bakery Café's four production kitchens. These kitchens include Pastry, Breads, Savory-Prep (K19), and Café Savory Line. The Lead Kitchen Assistant will be prepping and producing food for guests and learning other aspects of baking and culinary productions for the Apple Pie Bakery Cafe.
- Between Monday - Friday 5:30AM-4:00PM
ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Observes and assists in production with the APBC Chef and Savory Sous Chef.
- Assists Assistant Restaurant Manager with scheduling tasks (With guidance and approval from ARM, Exempt staff must send schedule to Earn and Learns)
- Assist with tracking hours and following up on missed punches utilizing SETA. (Exempt Staff Approval Required)
- Assist with the training of Kitchen Assistant in coordination with Faculty and Staff
- Prepping menu items from a daily production list with accuracy, utilizing tested recipes
- Working efficiently to ensure that product meets time deadlines and is produced at the highest standards
- Responsible for setting up/breaking down the kitchen, which includes and is not limited to, extensive, recording temperatures, proper cooling practices, FIFO, inventory.
- Assists other students as needed.
- Assisting with retrieving food orders/supplementals, and ensuring that items are stored in proper designated areas, labeled properly, and in accordance to ServSafe time/temperature protocols
- Communicates all pertinent information to the Chef Instructors and kitchen staff as necessary.
- Assists at maintaining inventories of raw ingredients, sanitation supplies and production.
- Assists at ensuring that equipment and machinery is properly used and maintained.
- Maintains confidentiality of all faculty, staff, student and guest information.
- Works cohesively with other department members as part of a team.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
- Completed one semester as an Earn & Learn APBC Kitchen Assistant, with re-hire recommendation from a Restaurant instructor/staff.
PREFERRED PRIOR EXPERIENCES
- Previous Front of House or Back of the House restaurant or cafe experience.
- Strong work ethic and ability to professionally handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to learn and work quickly as part of a team.
- Serve-safe certified or equivalent
SKILL DEVELOPMENT AND LEARNING OUTCOMES OF ASSIGNMENT
- Ability to maintain professionalism and adhering to standards of operational excellence, safety, efficiency and educational goals set by the CIA.
- Strong communication skills to effectively interact with guests, students, and faculty/staff.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills; ability to be adaptable, dependable and handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and conceptual skills.
Successful applicant must be able to perform all related functions of the assignment which may include working nights and weekends, ability to bend reach and stand for long periods of time, lifting and carrying of items up to fifty (50) pounds, and the ability to withstand high ambient temperatures.