The Food Service Shift Supervisor will lead kitchen staff while ensuring the safety of patients, employees, staff and visitors in accordance with established recipes, menus, and food safety guidelines. Will be responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the food service and patient services team, including training employees and planning, assigning, and directing work.
The Food Service Shift Supervisor will consistently demonstrate support of the SHIRLEY RYAN ABILITYLAB statement of Vision, Mission and Core Values by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the institute.
The Shift Supervisor will demonstrate SHIRLEY RYAN ABILITYLAB Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and SHIRLEY RYAN ABILITYLAB Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, and Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
Principal ResponsibilitiesThe Food Service Shift Supervisor:
- Directs the activities of Food Service staff during a specific shift and oversee that assigned job expectations are completed while policy and procedure is maintained.
- Coordinates patient meal service through the patient services program.
- Provides training and creates work schedules to ensure units are properly staffed to provide service.
- Evaluates the performance of workers, completes shadow reports, gives positive and constructive feedback as needed
- Prepares quality assurance reports for management and ensure their unit meets the expectations for quality, productivity and safety.
- Acts as a mentor, develop employees and encourage workers to set goals and strive for advancement within the organization.
- Oversees organization of catering events, as well as day to day activities, processing orders, payments and working with outside vendors to obtain supplies as necessary.
- Oversees systems and processes to ensure that the strategic and operational objectives of the patient service are accomplished.
- Supervises Catering Associates and acts as the supervisor on duty to provide alternatives to menu as allowed on prescribed diet in accordance with food allergies and sensitivities, cultural, ethnic and religious preferences, when patient inquires or needs additional selections.
- Interacts with nursing and evaluates patient meal selection, tray completion, tray delivery, and tray retrieval process on a daily basis.
- Resolves patient concerns or complaints immediately and/or reports needed assistance to supervisor as appropriate.
- Maintains cash handling processes and procedures.
- Performs other tasks as may be assigned.
- Reports directly to the Food and Nutrition Services Director.
- Occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; extreme heat; risk of electrical shock and risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Frequently required to talk or hear.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms
- Occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.