JOB POSITION: Catering & Events Director
LOCATION: Dallas, TX
SALARY: $60,000 - $70,000 plus commission
Opening in the Spring of 2023, the launch of Dallas' newest restaurant is poised to become the next fine dining destination. This brand-new 200+ seat restaurant, bar and 260 guests event space will entice locals and tourists alike with local meats, fresh seafood, bold wines, inspired cocktails and breathtaking views of the city. Blau & Associates is a strategic restaurant planning and development company that specializes in creating exceptional food-and-beverage concepts. Founded by Elizabeth Blau in 2003, our team applies extensive industry experience with modern analytics to help a wide range of clients conceptualize, establish, operate, and reinvigorate food and beverage outlets.
The Catering & Events Director will work closely with the Culinary and Operations teams to provide a preeminent level of guest experience, with both internal and external customers to explain, negotiate, sell and oversee event services. The position will contribute to the profitability by supporting all revenue-driving areas of the business from catering, banquets, large restaurant party bookings, along with refinement of sales and cost-controls. This role requires understanding of effective marketing campaigns to increase sales, launching promotions, and networking with the ultimate goal of driving sales and building long-term, value-based guest relationships and repeat clients.
- Generate new leads and business opportunities, identify and contact decision-makers, screen potential prospects, select the deals in line with strategies, and manage revenue pipeline process.
- Provide timely, accurate and seamless communication for all internal, external, in-person and virtual inquiries.
- Negotiate, prepare and write event contracts and enter contact information into the catering platform
- Coordinate and oversee both internal and external events from inquiry through execution
- Generates effective client and customer rapport
- Execute strategic sales plans and forecasts to achieve annual sales and revenue targets
- Support pricing with business value analysis
- Create service standards and training guidelines for catering managers and event staff
- Evaluates communication flow for customer, ease and effectiveness of catering communication
- Lead the training and development efforts of the banquet manager and event staff in service techniques, menu presentation, polices, procedures, as well as culinary planning and labor scheduling tools
- Strategic involvement in daily operations to ensure the successful implementation of the business plan
- Drive area sales and profit plans to budget by utilizing exemplary leadership, organizational plans, guest focus and execution of operational strategies
- Know and manage the business by utilizing sales reports and developing specific action plans directly related to business development and growth
- Review, analyze and react to performance metrics and data received from various financial and payroll reporting systems. Take effective action to control costs without sacrificing quality and service. This includes daily review of the revenue and payroll reports.
- Participates in P&L meetings, supplying all info regarding catering/banquet business; contributes to budget discussions for the designated units.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws: Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Oversee weekly schedules to ensure proper staffing at all events
- Create decks, taking part in menu development and engineering for food and beverage
- Work closely with the Marketing team to create, recommend, and lead the overall special event calendar. Develops promotions to grow special event business and work with marketing to design collateral as needed.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position is required to complete a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the business:
- Work towards property goals and objectives in conjunction with offsite corporate team.
- Provide constructive feedback to all departments including culinary, operations, and sales and marketing staff.
- Exhibit leader qualities and functions, as determined by corporate team, to all employees.
- Additional duties as necessary and assigned.
- A minimum of 7 years of previous food and beverage management and supervisory experience, preferably working in the catering and banquets department
- Have strong leadership abilities, sound judgment, and knowledge of operations
- Extensive food & beverage experience and knowledge. Keep current on food & event trends.
- Experience in fast paced high volume atmosphere
- Exceptional organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills and experience with managing a VIP clientele
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse population of Associates, Management and Guests
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure within a well integrated team environment
- Able to consistently maintain a professional and respectful demeanor
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience in training and mentoring of staff, knowledge of inventory management, previous scheduling experience
- Ability to read, write & speak fluent English
- Strong computer skills are necessary to handle generating reports
- Proficient in Microsoft Office. Knowledge of banquet platforms and POS.
- Flexible schedule
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Bachelor's degree, Associate's degree in F&B or Culinary Arts and/or related supervisor experience preferred
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and holidays as needed
- Must maintain the mental and physical stamina to work extended
- Adhere and enforce all Company standards and policies regarding Code of Conduct
- Competitive Compensation
- Annual Bonus based on transparent, performance dependent standards
- Eligible to participate in family health insurance, $700 monthly covered by the company, as of the 1st day of the month following your date of hire
- Comprehensive dental and vision insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Promotional Opportunities
- Free Shift Meal