CDLA Delivery Driver
$28 per hour plus a $2000.00 Sign-On/Retention bonus
Each year Scholastic Book Fairs, in partnership with schools across the country, hosts more than 100,000 book-sale events that give more than 35 million students and their families access to thousands of affordable and educational products, helping foster a lifelong love of reading.
We are currently in search of CDL A Delivery Drivers to help us deliver fairs to local school. This full time position offers medical, dental and vision benefits, Paid Time Off, a generous 50% off discount on Scholastic merchandise, and a 401k.
Scholastic drivers are home the majority of nights and all weekends. In the event that they do take an overnight route, drivers are provided with hotel accommodations and a meal allowance.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with supervisor to deliver and pick-up fairs in an efficient, cost effective manner.
- Inspect and prepare fifth wheel before coupling.
- Utilize Semi Tractor with either single or tandem axle, manual or automatic transmission, combined with a 48' or 53' trailer to line haul fairs from branch facility to hub location.
- Deliver fairs using a Semi Tractor with either single or tandem axle, manual or automatic transmission, combined with a pup trailer.
- Couple and uncouple trailers safely and in a timely manner. Connect/disconnect air and brake lines, and properly operate landing gear.
- Work closely with supervisor to ensure customer service standards are maintained.
- Load and unload trucks with or without assistance of mechanical devices.
- Effectively communicate routing problems to supervisor so changes can be communicated to the routing team (road construction, address changes, steps, etc).
- Deliver and pick-up product from schools, as scheduled,, in a courteous and professional manner.
- Secure and transport products in order to enable customer to receive a "Damage Free" fair.
- Perform a daily pre-trip and post-trip inspection of motor vehicle to which assigned. Notify supervisor of any defects or problems.
- Complete and maintain accurate and legible records in a timely manner to include, but not limited to, DOT Logs, trip sheets, fuel tickets, road expenses, and other paperwork, as required.
- Adhere to all Company, local, state, and federal rules/regulations inclusive of, but not limited to, DOT, OSHA, etc.
- Call Regional/Branch office immediately upon the occurrence of any of the following: a) Accident or damage to person(s) or property. b) Problem with a school delivery or pick-up. c) Mechanical failure of equipment.
- Assist in completing warehouse tasks as required by the supervisor.
- Overnight routes as necessary.
- Must maintain professional appearance including well-groomed hair, clean uniform, and hygienic habits.
- Attend monthly driver meetings - completing all continuous training materials as required.
- Complete annual Certificate of Violation Process timely, accurately and honestly.
- Utilize proper techniques for lifting, packing, and handling heavy objects, climbing ladders and pushing/pulling display cases.
- Maintain a clean, organized and safe work environment.
- Maintain truck per company standards.
- Regular attendance in accordance with schedule.
- Drug and alcohol free policy compliance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate preferred.
- Verifiable commercial driving experience of at least one (1) year required.
- Minimum of twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Possess valid CDL A license with air brake endorsement.
- CDL A must be validated through recertification with an approved Driving School
- Must pass a drug screen/alcohol screen, Motor Vehicle Record review, criminal background review, and a DOT physical examination indicating physical essential functions of job can be performed as required.
- Must be able to drive vehicle weighing in excess of 26,001 GVW and trailers in excess of 10,000 lbs. with a total combined GVW up to 80,000 lbs.
- Ability to lift/carry up to 70 lbs. and push, pull, lift and handle metal/plastic cases weighing more than 350lbs on a regular and repetitive basis. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Customer service orientated.
- Must be able to read road maps and follow directions.
- Ability to work over time and weekends as needed.
- Strong team player and the ability to get along with co-workers.
- Good verbal/written communication skills, basic math skills, and ability to read.
Job Family Group:
Distrib & Matls Mgmt
Scholastic is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our policy is clear: there shall be no discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam veteran. Those factors shall not influence the determination of qualifications for a job or other opportunity within the company. Further, all personnel actions (such as compensation, tuition aid, benefits, transfers, promotions, and dismissals, company-sponsored training, social and recreational programs) shall be administered without discrimination.
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO Scholastic Policy Statement
Pay Transparency Provision
Important Please fill out the below information to be re-directed to the full application