POSITION TITLE: Sous Chef REVISED: May 2022
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt/Hourly
SUPERVISOR'S TITLE: Executive Chef
Works alongside the Executive Chef to help manage daily kitchen activities, including overseeing kitchen operations when the Exec isn't present, aiding with menu preparation, ensuring food quality and freshness, and monitoring ordering and stocking needs. Provides meal quality and consistency by following designated tasks and duties assigned by the Executive Chef.
• Needs Serv Safe Certification within the first available class scheduled following employment. Maintain certification through duration of employment.
• Ensure the overall cleanliness of kitchens meets and exceeds GHC health and equipment cleaning standards
• Make periodic and regular inspections of kitchen to observe quality of food preparation and service; food appearance; and cleanliness and sanitation of production and service areas, equipment.
• Lead kitchen team in chef's absence
• Follow proper training manual procedures when it comes to equipment item requests. Properly filling out the document and submitting it to your superior before house submission.
• Provides guidance to junior kitchen staff members if on staff.
• Oversee and organize kitchen stock and ingredients when Exec isn't present.
• Ensure a first-in, first-out food rotation system and verify all food products are properly dated and organized for quality assurance.
• Keep service line prepped and stocked, especially before and during prime operation hours
• Assist with supervision all food preparation and presentation to ensure quality and restaurant standards
• Work with head chef to maintain kitchen organization, staff ability, and training opportunities
• Verify that food storage units all meet standards and are consistently well-managed
• Assists Executive Chef with any duties or tasks needed.
• Attend food committee reviews at least once a month to ensure that the expectations of the house are being met.
• Minimum work week of 36-40 hours.
• Keep availability open for up to 3 special events per semester. It is a requirement for all chefs to be present for these events.
• Mid semester, semester, and end of year progress reports. Reviewing how the overall job performance was executed.
• Maintain a pleasant appearance and always be in a clean GHC Blue Embroider chef coat while in the kitchen and GHC attire while traveling.
• Communicate client feedback to chef and upper management as needed.
• Receive trucks and check for quantity and quality
• Always keep a professional working relationship with all vendors, and clients always.
• Knowledge and adherence of the handbook at all times so you meet the correct and strongest GHC standard.
• Abide with all scheduling and time management protocol as assigned by the Exe. Chef or other GHC management.
• Assist in monitoring of scheduling and time management of self and on-site staff.
• Adhere to all GHC implementations as dictated by management.