H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 110,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation, operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $31 billion. We're known to lead the way with creative new concepts, and now we're in the Restaurant & Bar business, combining exceptional food and outstanding service for a distinctive, yet familiar neighborhood dining experience.
As a Line Cook / BBQ Pitmaster, you'll provide superior fast, fresh, and friendly customer service in a fast-paced restaurant environment. You'll prep ingredients for the kitchen and maintain department and food safety / sanitation standards.
Once you're eligible, you'll become an Owner in the company, so we're looking for commitment, hard work, and focus on quality and Customer service. 'Partner-owned' means our most important resources--People--drive the innovation, growth, and success that make H-E-B The Greatest Omnichannel Retailing Company.
Do you have a:
HEART FOR PEOPLE... willingness to deliver fast, fresh, and friendly customer service and teamwork with a great attitude?
HEAD FOR BUSINESS... culinary skills, critical thinking, and execution of written plans?
PASSION FOR RESULTS... drive to support your Team's focus on excellence and guest satisfaction?
We are looking for:
- culinary certification, or equivalent culinary training / work experience
- experience in food prep / equipment
- communication and interpersonal skills
What is the work?
- Cuts, slices, dices, chops, food for recipe preparation; preps in accordance with recipe specifications and SOPs
- Prepackages condiments (sauces, dressings) for prepared food items
- Completes tasks at assigned work station
- Assists in multiple cooking venues
- Assists in technical areas, and with catering orders, as needed
- Masters recipe preparation, including daily production to account for raw material variations and customer demand
- Prepares, packages, and plates fresh product
- Performs other duties as assigned
Food Safety / Sanitation:
- Ensures compliance with department Store and standard operating procedures
- Properly handles / maintains temperature integrity of all ingredients, product, and equipment operation
- Maintains sanitation in food preparation areas
- Properly handles, operates, and maintains equipment
- Performs as a team member to help ensure a safe, clean, productive operation
- Provides / ensures customers a sense of urgency related to accuracy, speed, and freshness of their order
- Provides superior customer service at all times; provides internal customer service
- Provides detailed knowledge of menu items, ingredients, prep methods, etc.
- Assists guests as needed
What is your background?
- Minimum age 18 (mandatory)
- High school diploma (or equivalent)
- Culinary certification, or equivalent combination of culinary training / experience
- 1+ years of experience in commercial foodservice
- Experience in food preparation and equipment
Do you have what it takes to be a fit as an H-E-B Line Cook / BBQ Pitmaster?
- Culinary knowledge
- Understanding of nutritional values and ingredients
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Reading and writing skills
- Technology skills
- Planning and organizing skills
- Culinary math skills for recipe conversion
- Ability to execute high-volume production
- Function in a fast-paced, retail environment
- Work extended hours and / or rotating schedules
- Safely maneuver around moving mechanical parts
- Constantly reach at waist, grasp
- Frequently be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic materials
- Frequently stand, walk,
- Occasionally reach at overhead, reach at shoulder, reach at knee, reach at floor, bend, stoop, squat, crouch, kneel, climb stairs, pivot twist, push / pull with arms, pinch, perform fine motor movements, shoulder circumduction
- Occasionally be exposed to wet, cold, ambient temperatures, and loud noise
- Frequently be exposed to heat
- Demonstrate the ability to lift 80 lbs, and manage in excess of 80 lbs with a team lift
While there may be exceptions, the measurements noted are generally defined as--Constantly: 5.5+ hours per 8-hour day; Frequently: 2.5 - 5.5 hours per 8-hour day; Occasionally: 0 - 2.5 hours per 8-hour day
It is Partners' responsibility to never lift beyond their own safe lifting limit. If an item is too heavy to lift, push or pull, and / or carry, the Partner must break the box down into lighter, smaller, more manageable components, or ask for assistance from another Partner or a manager.