Harbor's Edge is a premier resort-style Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) located on the harbor in Norfolk, Virginia. Harbor's Edge has a $225 million expansion underway, the River Tower, that includes an additional 24-story tower, doubling the square footage and adding 147 residential living units and 20 assisted living units. When complete, Harbor's Edge will have 300 residential units in addition to a 33 bed (Medicare/Private Pay) Skilled Nursing unit and 80 Assisted Living/Memory Care units. The Community will employ approximately 300 employees.
The Cook is responsible for preparing food according to menus and recipes approved by the Chef and Director of Dining and Catering and in accordance with current federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations.
The ideal candidate has a Passion for Culinary Arts! You must be an effective communicator and leader. You should be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet production deadlines.
This is an Essential Personnel Position, and you must be available before, during, and after inclement weather or any disaster situation.
- Maintains proper sanitation and safety in food preparation areas and ensures proper labeling, handling, storage, and rotation of food inventories
- Prepares sufficient quantity of food to meet requirements, ensures it is served at proper temperature, and maintain an attractive appearance and appealing taste
- Assists with cleaning of cooking areas and other kitchen equipment and facilities
- Attend in-service classes and staff meetings
- Assist in planning menus
- Prepare food following planned menus and standardized recipes and in compliance with all applicable food preparation regulations and guidelines
- Maintain high standards of quality food production, nutrition, and portion control
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Culinary degree or equivalent work experience
- High school diploma/GED at a minimum
- Current Food Handlers Card
- Must possess excellent customer service skills and exhibit positive attitude and professional demeanor with residents; have an interest and solid skills in geriatric care
- Must be sensitive to and respect and uphold residents' rights
- Must have solid understanding of food safety practices and regulations
- At least 2 years of experience in the long-term care industry or a related high-volume, high-end food service environment
- Knowledge of the principles of high-end institutional food service, including food planning, preparation, cooking, and storage; dietetics; sanitation