GIS/Geospatial Data Steward - St. Louis, MO
About the Role:
Open to 100% Remote Candidates
The successful candidate will be part of the Location360 (Geospatial) Data Stewardship Team. This role will focus on performing imagery and metadata quality checks, analysis, and creating technical documentation that supports the Imagery pipeline team and enterprise imagery catalog users. In addition to the technical responsibilities, this role will also require interaction with business stakeholders in helping define scope and Imagery capture requirements as applicable to the project. The candidate would enjoy using their Geospatial/Imagery background in helping gather data requirements, supporting the UAV/Satellite Imagery pipeline, and applying data strategies as part of their daily tasks. A person that would support the IT strategy on an enterprise level and enforce data governance guidelines while implementing best practices when managing geospatial data. The ideal candidate will have experience managing data in a RDBMS, remotely sensed data, QGIS desktop GIS/mapping software with the ability to identify and problem-solve complex mapping questions. Heavily leveraging Open Source Geospatial Technology across the Enterprise. Be part of a fast paced and dynamic team that serves as the geospatial backbone of the company!
What you'll do:
• Accountable for geospatial data quality, governance, and usage of data.
• Geospatial data delivery coordination and monitoring between data stewardship, engineering, and business stakeholders.
• Support both Geospatial Data Stewards and Geospatial Engineers in various approval workflows and data asset requests.
• Identify new ways of leveraging our geospatial data assets for use in solving business problems across business units and global hubs.
• Train and coach Data Scientists, Data Analysts, API developers and Geospatial Analysts in areas such as accessing data in cloud-based data warehouse and APIs, geospatial data editing and data management with Python scripting toolsets/libraries and or QGIS desktop methods.
• Work collaboratively with geospatial engineering teams and development teams in fulfilling data requirements, solving problems, validating best practices, and recommending viable options or solutions using your geospatial experience.
• Conduct day-to-day geospatial/imagery data management, including data procurement, quality assurance, and documentation of best practices.
• Develop POC's for map visualizations or data transformations to properly vet business use-cases or project requirements.
• Have an understanding of imagery workflows from data collection through stitching the imagery and serving the imagery back to the application.
• Communicate effectively across teams and with business stakeholders to ensure business requirements remain aligned with planned and in-progress deliverables.
• Have knowledge of georeferencing and the interactions of vector vs. raster data
• Bachelor's degree in GIS, Geospatial technology, or similar field is required.
• 1-3 years working with geospatial data, open-source technology, and geospatial platforms.
• Solid foundation and understanding of GIS principles, technologies, and concepts.
• Experience with remote sensing (UAS, satellite, aerial, LiDAR) or other raster data collection, processing, or workflow integrations.
• Some experience working in an agile organization with a good understanding of agile development and continuous deployment.
• Experience with Python (minimum 1 year) and QGIS Desktop (minimum 1 year) or ESRI ArcGIS is required.
• Ability to communicate a solid understanding of geospatial data and data service formats such as GeoJSON, JSON, WKT, WFS, WMS is required.
• Basic understanding of HTTP and REST request patterns with API web services.
• A track record of working within a fast paced, dynamic, team-oriented environment.
• Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Openness to learning new technologies and applying them to daily tasks.
• Familiarity with metadata and governance standards within geospatial data and applying those standards during data handling.
• Ability to quickly shift priorities between various in-progress data asset support requests, to governing data workflows, or managing data hand-offs.
• Background in Python, R, and or other scripting languages
• Proven ability to build and maintain technical or product documentation
• Some experience using SQL and Postgres databases, preferable in a cloud environment
• Understanding of data catalog technologies, services and or specifications like CKAN, CSW, and STAC
• Understanding of AWS and AWS resources such as EC2, Lambda, and IAM
• Some experience of working with cloud storage resources ( AWS S3, Google Cloud Platform Cloud Storage, Azure storage)
• Familiarity with web mapping frameworks and capabilities
• Professional teaching experience using geospatial technologies
• Ability to call an API using Postman, Python, or R
• Familiarity of Agisoft Photoscan, OpenDroneMap, and/or MicMac