The Skirball Cultural Center seeks a warm, friendly, and flexible self-starter with excellent communication skills for the position of On-Call Banquet Waiter. This person is responsible for serving food and beverages to event attendees in a gracious and efficient manner, ensuring a positive dining experience. They will also greet and provide guidance to guests to help them get to their intended event.
This is a variable-hour position that can resemble full-time work during our busy seasons with a pay range of $20–$22.50/hour. The schedule for this position depends on when events are scheduled. This position reports to the Catering Managers.
- Welcomes guests and helps direct them to their tables.
- Explains how various menu items are prepared, describing ingredients and cooking methods.
- Records or memorizes guest entrée choice(s) and transmits information to kitchen team.
- Serves food or beverages to patrons as required, including table-side wine service.
- Checks with attendees to ensure that they are enjoying their meals and acts to correct any issues.
- Removes dishes and glasses from tables or counters and takes them to scullery for cleaning.
- Clears and cleans tables or counters after patrons have finished dining.
- Prepares tables for meals, including setting up items such as linens, silverware, and glassware.
- Garnishes and decorates dishes in preparation for serving.
- Stocks service areas with supplies such as coffee, food, tableware, and linens.
- Fills salt, pepper, sugar, cream, condiment, and napkin containers.
- Monitors the dining room and ensures that cleanliness is maintained.
- May assist with routine food preparation (e.g., portioning desserts, making coffee, etc.).
Qualifications, Experience, and Attributes
- Prior experience working as a waiter
- Must be of legal age to serve alcohol in California
- Must have a current California Food Handler’s Certificate
- Must be well-groomed, with hair cut or secured above the collar, clean clothes, etc.
- Ability to provide personable and professional customer service
- Ability to pay close attention to the needs of attendees, looking for ways to be of service
- Ability to work on a team and interact respectfully with colleagues
- Ability to accomplish routine housekeeping, cleaning, and scullery tasks
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English
- Physical ability to stand/walk most of the working day
- Physical ability to lift and carry heavy trays and other items up to 40 lbs.
Please send resume and cover letter, preferably by email, to:
Human Resources Department
Re: On-Call Banquet Waiter
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
FAX: (310) 440-4595