Founded in 1991 by company president Joe Blackstone, Blackstone Consulting, Inc. (BCI) is an international service provider supporting nearly 6,000 managed employees. Our earliest partnerships paired us with the Department of Defense to provide full food, mess attendant and janitorial services. And while those partnerships continue to this day, our client base has grown to include Fortune 500 companies, hospitals, schools, universities, and industrial sites.
ROLE: SOUS CHEF
Responsible for assisting the Executive Chef with the consistent preparation of innovative and creative cuisine of the highest quality, presentation, and flavor for the Dining Hall, banquets, and other food facilities, resulting in outstanding guest satisfaction.
Additionally, the Sous Chef is responsible for the smooth running of the kitchen and manages areas of profit, stock, waste control, hygiene practices, and training within the kitchen when the Executive and Production Chef are not onsite.
The Sous Chef works closely with all the Executive Chef to plan and execute banquet menus.
DUTIES AND TASKS:
* Assist in teaching preparation according to well-defined recipes and follows up and discusses ways of constantly improving the cuisine at the University.
* Displays exceptional leadership by providing a positive work environment, counseling employees as appropriate, and demonstrating a dedicated and professional approach to management.
* Collaborate with Executive Chef to assist with identifying the developmental needs of kitchen staff and provides coaching, mentoring, and also helping them to improve their knowledge or skills.
* Coordinate inventories and completes all food and beverage related purchasing through BCI- approved vendors.
* Ensures proper receiving and food storage standards in the kitchen.
* Assist with all day-to-day operations in the kitchen, understanding employee positions well enough to perform duties during employees' absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
* Assist with scheduling cooks.
* Oversee the proper use of all logs related to temperatures and food production.
* Works with the Chef and Receiver during inventory to help get accurate counts.
* Provide guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance while utilizing interpersonal and communication skills to lead and influence kitchen staff in the absence of the Executive Chef
* Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
* Ensures all equipment in the kitchen is properly maintained and in working order in accordance with the local Health Department and University standards.
* Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on food quality, presentation, and service levels.
* Frequently reviews finished products, before and during service times, for quality and presentation before foods are served to guests.
* Able to perform additional duties as requested by the Director of Dining Services as and when required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS,AND ABILITIES:
* Able to demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication in English.
* Proficiency with computers and computer programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
* Three years of kitchen management or equivalent Culinary university degree.
* With a minimum of 3 years of experience in a similar capacity/function within a high volume dining establishment, with a strong background in catering/banquet functions. Must have high knowledge of HACCP procedures and applications.
Understands OSHA requirements, Labor requirements (Wage Determination), and employment law as it relates to managing the workforce.
Understand and follow BCI Employee Handbook, policy and procedures, and payroll requirements.
Comply with all HACCP standards.
Understand and oversee cash management and control operations.
Manage the workforce in a fair and consistent manner.
Lift and carry up to 50 lbs
Walks, stands and moves about the kitchen and dining facility to ensure compliance with SOP
Some bending and stooping
The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machines, etc. Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, fax machine and computer printer.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.