The Chef de Partie is responsible for setting up, working, and closing down a section. This chef should know everything about the section including ordering dates for protein and produce and they should manage their inventories. Chef de Partie will be cross-trained to work several stations in the kitchen. The nature of the hotel and restaurant requires the chef to work a flexible schedule of days and hours. Organization and cleanliness are critical to working efficiently. The ability to grow outside of your role and manage stress is important for longevity in the kitchen.
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of everything that needs to be done! Within the Auberge family, our people always find new ways to look after the business, their guests, and their team-mates. Within this, the key responsibilities for this position are:
- Attend the daily "Line-up" and check daily menus and discuss changes in your section with the sous chefs.
- Keep the kitchens clean and sanitary according to Commodore Perry Estate standards.
- Sort waste appropriately by recyclable, compostable, or nonrenewable.
- We produce trim, not scraps. Utilizing trim to make something else is part of what we do.
- Taste your mise en place. Taste everything often.
- Use equipment with care and clean them properly after each use.
- Use clear communication in the kitchen: announce when you are walking behind someone or carrying something hot or dangerous.
- Fill out your production lists by checking the daily events to come.
- Ensure that the recipe guides are followed and that all the dishes are consistent.
- Maintain a good work attitude and behavior with your leaders and peers, you must be a good team player and work well with criticism.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a commercial kitchen is required.
- Travis County Food handling certificate is required.
- Able to compute basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to communicate in English with co-workers, guests, and management to their understanding.
- Ability to provide legible written communication.
- Versatility, discipline, organization, strong work ethic and sense of teamwork.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to assist the restaurant managers with management of Food and Beverage team members in the restaurant to ensure guests receive the highest level of service and quality on a daily and consistent basis.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with attention to detail, speed, accuracy, follow-through, courtesy, cooperativeness and work with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, delegate work, and follow-through.
- Technical skills such as knife skills and the ability to use one's hands are required.
- Ability to work well under pressure of meeting production schedules and timelines as they pertain to delivering quality food service to Commodore Perry guests.
- Ability to work in tight spaces in close proximity to others, often in adverse conditions including but not limited to dry heat and steam.
At Auberge, we are passionate about our mission to be the best-loved operator of one-of-a-kind luxury properties and experiences. We are storytellers and story-makers, delivering simple pleasures and creating indelible memories. Born in Napa and inspired by the most relaxing places in the world, we prize simplicity, comfort, and beauty. Whatever role we play in Auberge, and wherever we reside and work, we all live by the view that our core purpose is to enrich people's lives.
If that philosophy resonates with you and you feel that our approach is aligned with your own passions and beliefs, then please talk to us about becoming part of our family.