WITS Chef Job Description
Wellness in the Schools (WITS) is a national non-profit that teaches kids healthy habits to learn and live better. We partner with public schools to provide nutrition and fitness education, healthy scratch-cooked meals and active recess periods. Our approach improves student outcomes and drives systemic, long-term change, shifting school cultures.
● Culinary school graduate or equivalent in experience
● Deadline and detail focused
● Strong interpersonal skills (necessary for working cooperatively with school personnel, parents, and other partnering organizations)
● Excellent organizational and communication skills
● Strong leadership and management skills
● Ability to work well with children and parents
● Passion for the WITS mission
Responsibilities (may include, but are not limited to):
● Train school kitchen staff on new menu items on a weekly basis
● Build relationships with school community including principal, teachers and parents while exercising flexibility and resilience in understanding the changing nature of school environments; attend meetings as required.
● Educate school community through culinary and nutrition classes
● Support evaluation of WITS programs
● Manage ingredient inventory
● Engage with regional and national office
● Perform other duties as assigned
● Part-time, salaried role based on school year calendar
● This position reports to the WITS Program Manager or other appointee as designated by WITS
● Compensation based on experience
● Hire may be contingent upon: recent PPD negative status, ServSafe certification, and cleared background/fingerprint check through Department of Education
● Job requires Hire to lift up to 50 pounds
● Job requires Hire to be on their feet for 5 hours per day
● Job requires Hire to handle all types of food and ingredients
All interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to:
WITS provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, WITS complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which it operates.
31 W 125th Street, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10027 | Tel.