Silver Cloud Inns & Hotels
Silver Cloud Hotel-Portland
Position: General Manager Department: Front Office
Reports to: Corporate Director of Operations, FLSA designation: Exempt
Manages the activities of the hotel operations which include: guest relations, front desk, housekeeping, maintenance, finances, food & beverage, team building, and staff improvement. This position works closely with the Director of Sales who manages hotel sales, catering and customer service activity.
- Promotes an atmosphere that ensures the company mission statement: "Friendliness and Cleanliness".
-Provides an environment where staff and individual departments can support each other and achieve goals.
- Planning for future requirements in operations.
- Coordinate the efforts of operating departments to achieve goals, objectives, and budgets.
- Support the Sales Department in seeking increased occupancy, ADR, and quality customer service.
- Ensures that all departments comply with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Interfaces with corporate accounting, sales, and managing partners as required.
Position Requirements & Responsibilities:
A. Guest Services:
- Promote an atmosphere that insures the company mission statement "Friendliness and Cleanliness" is understood and practiced by all employees.
- Encourage effective guest communication between staff, management, and guests.
B. Management Skills:
- Communication: Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate and punctual reports, delivers presentations, shares information and ideas with others, has good listening skills.
- Decision Making: Makes decisions systematically, can make decisions under pressure, builds a consensus, can make difficult/unpopular decisions, considers impact of decisions.
- Delegation: Assigns authority and tasks to promote growth and enhance productivity. Insures tasks are supported and fulfilled.
- Dependability: Meets commitments, works independently, accepts accountability, handles change, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
- Hiring: Defines position requirements and necessary skills, selects appropriate candidates, builds teams with complementary skills, promotes diversity in hiring.
- Initiative: Tackles problems and takes independent action, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new ideas, practices self-development.
- Interpersonal Skills: Has good listening skills, builds strong relationships, is flexible/open-minded, negotiates effectively, solicits performance feedback and handles constructive criticism.
- Judgment: Uses good judgment, applies previous experience, prioritizes tasks, provides manager with feedback, manages resources well.
- Leadership: Is persuasive and convincing, is fair and impartial, sets high standards, establishes a clear focus and direction, implements company policies, tackles tough issues.
- People Development: Provides feedback and coaching, rewards hard work and risk taking, takes mentoring role, challenges and develops employees, accepts mistakes, provides visibility/opportunity.
- Personal Organization: Keeps information organized and accessible, maintains clean/functional workspace, works systematically/efficiently, and manages time well.
- Problem Solving: Anticipates and prevents problems, defines problems, overcomes obstacles, generates alternative solutions, helps solve team problems.
- Teamwork: Works well in groups, helps resolve conflicts, facilitates meetings, works well with other departments, is flexible and open-minded, focuses team on strategies and goals.
- Work Environment: Promotes mutual respect, keeps workplace clean and safe, supports safety programs.
C. Adherence to Company Policies and Procedures
D. Physical Plant and Equipment:
- Conduct Property Inspections
- Coordinate all property and plant and equipment inspections with state, local, and third party inspectors.
- Establish and maintain safety & compliance requirements.
- Train key personnel in all emergency procedures.
- Confer with corporate staff on needed capital improvements or emergency repairs.
- Maintain physical plant and equipment.
E. Fiscal Administration:
- Daily examination of all revenue and expense areas generated by the hotel.
- Weekly review of supply inventories and approval of orders.
- Timely (twice weekly) deliveries of daily reports and invoices to corporate office.
- Monthly review and analysis of all reports received from corporate office.
- Monthly preparation of required reports sent to corporate office:
- Compile and process employee payroll information on a semi-monthly schedule.
- Compile and submit recommendations for annual capital improvements and major maintenance projects.
F. Departmental Supervision and Communication:
- Coordinate personnel management within each department.
- Involve employees in an action plan for continuous improvement.
- Establish and maintain effective communications.
- Perform annual performance evaluations with department heads.
1. Degree of supervision: Supervises or oversees the supervision of 20-200 people in a wide variety of activities.
2. Working conditions: Requires 45-50 hours per week as required to meet the responsibilities and is on call evenings and weekends.