Hotel General Manager
The Inn at Elon, Elon, NC
Please note that this position is based in Elon, NC. Candidates must be willing to relocate and relocation assistance will be provided.
The Inn at Elon is a new 4-star, 80-room boutique hotel located on the campus of Elon University and features an onsite fine dining restaurant and 5,700 of flexible indoor and outdoor event space. With 100% of the profits returned to fund scholarships at Elon University, every visit becomes a stay with purpose.
The Hotel General Manager is responsible for the successful operation and administration of all hotel departments, including Front Office, Housekeeping, Food and Beverage, Banquets, Sales and Marketing, and Engineering. The General Manager is responsible for ensuring a flawless guest experience through supervision, training, coaching, motivation, and policy implementation.
The General Manager must ensure an awareness of all departments throughout the Hotel, ensuring a consistent focus on providing an exceptional experience to every guest while maximizing department profitability at the same time. The General Manager is responsible for ensuring that all Hotel operations are carried out professionally, to standards and at the highest level of service. The General Manager must also be involved within the community and the University and represent the hotel in a positive manner at all times. The General Manager will achieve desired outcomes by planning, implementing, and controlling effective strategies that drive results and through the creation, development and maintenance of a competent, motivated, and empowered hotel staff.
To perform this job successfully, General Manager candidates must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
General Manager Primary Responsibilities
• Work collaboratively with University, asset manager, corporate office and property team to continually enhance and advance the hotel's goals and operations
• The General Manager will work closely with managers and supervisors to develop them both personally and professionally
• Establish operating procedures and ensure they are consistently followed
• Motivate the staff and establish a productive, positive and safe work environment
• Responsible for the appropriate scheduling of hotel staff to ensure guest needs
• Responsible for all property based Human Resources and accounting functions, including weekly and monthly reporting, budgeting, forecasting, and cash flow
• The General Manager will participate in Hotel revenue management and sales strategies to include weekly business review
• Ensure the operations staff, supervisors and management are properly trained to standards and able to carry out the operations of each function of their department
• Conduct daily stand-up meetings with management/staff to ensure employees are well informed of hotel operations and events
• Ensure that cleanliness and condition of each area meet designated hotel standards and the appropriate inspections are carried out on a consistent basis
• The General Manager will ensure that an accurate inventory is completed for housekeeping and front office amenities and supplies, standard guest room items, linen, food and beverage items, etc
• Work with engineering to ensure that all equipment within the guest rooms and all operational departments within the hotel are functioning properly and are part of an effective preventative maintenance program and all public space are properly maintained
• Keep abreast of the competition, local events, and hospitality trends
• Maintain a flexible schedule that can work any shift and assist with staff coverage in the instance of call-offs
• The General Manager will assist in the development of the annual marketing plan & budget by developing strategies to increase occupancy and revenue
• Ensure that all employees consistently comply with all Fire Department Safety codes and OSHA guidelines
• Review status of assignments and any follow-up action with manager and/or on-coming shift supervisor
Guest Service & Satisfaction
• The General Manager is responsible for Guest Service scores, review the scores with the staff, site areas for improvement, and create incentives for hotel staff
• Handle guest feedback and special requests, resolve any guest issue, and respond to guest reviews
• Demonstrate a commitment to servicing the guest and takes initiative to speak to all guests
• Show personal control by maintaining a positive attitude, and staying calm and patient in all situations