San Francisco Proper's new Executive Chef is Jason Fox, former chef/owner of Michelin Star restaurant Commonwealth. Chef Jason Fox leads the hotel's three unique dining outlets: Villon, Charmaine's, and La Bande. From fine dining to elevated bar snacks, Chef Fox brings his extensive knowledge of progressive California cuisine to the property and draws on local ingredients and worldly flavors.
We are looking for a Chef de Cuisine to lead our kitchen team for the relaunch of our fine dining restaurant Villon, with a minimum of three years' experience in a similar position in a Michelin or fine dining restaurant.
What follows is a general overview of some of the qualifications for, and duties associated with, this position, and certain expectations regarding job performance. This is not a comprehensive job description, and it does not identify all essential job functions or duties associated with this position. It is being provided as additional information to help you better understand the position.
Must love hospitality!
The Chef de Cuisine must be ready to work in a high pressure, fast paced work environment, while retaining organizational ability to see and act on work duties safely, quickly and efficiently. Responsible for the exact preparation of menu items and feature dishes in all stations in the kitchen, knowledgeable in all aspects of daily kitchen controls, including but not limited to recipe accuracy, station set up, cleanliness, sanitation, food storage, break down and clean up. Must maintain good safety standards at all times. Must have an understanding and knowledge on how to use and maintain all equipment in the station and to cook food items as required.
* Responsible for creating a positive working environment for all culinary team members.
* Responsible for hiring, training, management, coaching, and discipline for culinary team members.
* Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
* Maintain a safe and sanitary working environment at all times.
* Maintains order guides, par levels, recipe sheets, and costing for all food items
* Responsible for scheduling and attendance tracking of culinary team.
* Have an understanding of all job requirements for culinary team and be able to fill in as necessary.
* Knowledgeable in classic and modern cooking methods and techniques.
* Assumes 100% responsibility for quality and consistency of products served.
* Responsible for daily and weekly ordering, receipt, and inventory of food and supplies.
* Responsible for the creation of event menu proposals, event menu tastings, and execution of special events menus.
* Responsible for collaboration with service team to ensure guest satisfaction with food timeliness and product
* Responsible for achieving targeted food and culinary labor cost percentages
* Have workstation ready for service before service time, fully stocked and fresh
* Comply with and enforces all safety and health department procedures as well as departmental policies/procedures. Comply with all state and federal laws. Be trained in all fire, safety and emergency procedures.
* The ability to listen to, assess, and appropriately respond to information conveyed through speech
* The ability to convey technical information through writing to a nontechnical audience so the recipients easily understand the information and can quickly and correctly apply it.
* The ability to exercise the personal discipline and extra diligence to assure that projects are completed on timely basis.
* The ability to subordinate one's personal agenda in favor of working collaboratively with the team to achieve departmental goals
* The ability to motivate and inspire others to work cooperatively to achieve a designated goal.
* The ability to maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent data.
* Flexible schedule - Willing and able to work shift duties that may include evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
* Must have a trained palate and be able to produce consistent and correct flavor profiles
* Must be able to maintain consistent and correct plate presentation
* Ability to operate designated machinery.
* Ability to remain extremely alert while operating machinery.
* Ability to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares.
* Ability to withstand high temperatures, moisture and noise levels in work areas.
* Ability to endure abundant physical movements in cleaning various work areas.
* Respond quickly and positively to food orders and special requests
* Must have intermediate or higher knife skills
Education: High school graduate or equivalent education preferred
Experience: Over 2 years previous experience in a similar position preferred
Licenses or Certificates: Serv Safe Preferred
Proper Hospitality is made up of a diverse group of passionate individuals who share a common love for hotels and the art of hospitality. Our philosophy is simple: There is a right way to do things and anything less just isn't Proper. We are seeking out the "best of the best" from inside and outside of the industry to work alongside us as we grow a new kind of lifestyle Hospitality Company inspired by a centuries-old tradition. The work is challenging and fast-paced, but rewarding above all.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Proper Hospitality provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other federal/state protected category.