JOB SUMMARY: Pastry work experience must exceed 4 years in a professional pastry kitchen within a 4 Diamond or 4 Star Hotel or Restaurant. Pastry Chef, must have ability to manage employees; supervise, train, and inspect the performance of assigned kitchen staff, ensuring that all procedures are completed to The Ballantyne- A Luxury Collection Hotel Standards, while working within the budgeted guidelines.
* Supervise the daily production and distribution of all pastries, desserts and baked goods; ensure recipes and standards are followed, food and labor costs are controlled, the appropriate quantity prepared and safety standards and regulation are followed in order to provide top quality goods for an enhanced guest experience.
* Maintain time and payroll records, updating inventory records.
* Monitor and control the maintenance/sanitation of the pastry shop and equipment to ensure a healthy, safe work environment which meets/exceeds federal, state, corporate and franchise standards and regulations.
* Supervise hourly pastry shop employees; interview, schedule train, develop, empower, coach and counsel, resolve problems; provide open communication, recommend and conduct performance and salary reviews, recommend discipline and termination as appropriate.
* Interview, hire and evaluate culinary students' performance per their program with various culinary schools.
* Attend weekly meetings with Executive Chef via email, phone or in person regarding changes in business, staffing levels and other food/hotel related matters.
* Create, plan and implement seasonal/yearly menu changes for all food outlets and banquet operations to provide variety and maintain guest's interest.
* Order and maintain pastry shop supplies at par levels to ensure quality production.
* Perform special projects and other responsibilities as assigned.
* MUST be able to work a flexible shift, plus overtime if needed.
Note: May be assigned other duties by supervisor or management
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* High School Diploma or equivalent
* 2 year pastry degree from an accredited institution preferred or a 4 year pastry apprenticeship.
* Must meet state and local food handler requirements. Must possess valid food handler's permit.
* Must valid ServSafe certification.
* Pastry work experience must exceed 4 years in a professional pastry kitchen within a 4 diamond or 4 star hotel, restaurant or high end Patisserie
* Chocolatier is a plus
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
* Excellent Communication Skills
* Knife handling, pastry and baked goods knowledge
* Ability to calculate figures and amounts, such as recipe yields, serving size, weight and temperature conversion
* Excellent time management and organizational skills
* Previous Supervisory experience
* Ability to work a flexible work schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays
* Ability to stand for extended periods, walk, bend, talk, hear, listen, reach, grasp, taste, smell, perform repetitive motions and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects
* Ability to push, pull, lift, carry, or otherwise move 10 - 25 lbs. regularly and up to 70 lbs. oc