PRIMARY FUNCTION :
Under normal supervision, provides maximum protection for the safety and security of university and hospital personnel, patients, students, visitors and TJU/TJUH assets. Capable of being assigned to any fixed post or patrol duties in any environment, and on any shift. Represents the university and hospital by giving directions or information when requested. Understands that "service" in a secure environment is key to the mission of the Security Department. Gives general direction and protection to all patients, visitors, employees, faculty and students.
CORE FUNCTIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
1. Provides for a secure environment.
* Performs security duties either at a fixed post, or on patrol or
while making rounds of campus/hospital buildings and grounds.
* Checks for unauthorized persons, general security violations
and fire or safety hazards.
* Uses judgment with respect to all problems and emergencies.
and contacts SRC/supervisor with respect to all problems
*Responds to priority or serious incidents, notifies supervisor of conditions,
and documents all security incidents with a written report.
2. Verifies the appropriateness of persons on university/hospital campus.
* Checks ID badges, and ensures that employees wear badges
* Escorts all unauthorized persons from the university/hospital campus.
* Ensures that all visitors comply with visiting regulations and schedules.
3. Provides security escorts to employees, students, patients, patient family and visitors.
* Completes a security escort assignment throughout the campus as directed
by the shift supervisor or dispatcher.
* Notifies SRC when directly requested to escort by any personnel.
* Provides escort with service and friendly demeanor in order to
reinforce comfort level.
4. Assists with campus parking issues.
* Assists employees, students, patients, and visitors with any parking
* Notifies shift supervisor to call for tow truck and/or
police services as may be necessary.
* Patrols parking lots and parking lot equipment, and reports
all problems to operations.
5. Unlocks and locks campus facility.
* Unlocks secured areas when requested by authorized
persons. Documents all openings on patrol log.
* Ensures that areas that should be secured are secured when
6. Responds to calls for service.
* Responds immediately to all calls of emergency nature, and
uses judgment in a difficult security situations.
* Responds promptly to all security calls, acts as a "first responder"
on any scene, and notifies operations of conditions and outcome.
* Diffuses any difficult situation with good conflict resolution skills.
7. Supports safety teams.
* Assists Trauma Team with the landing of helicopters.
* Acts as a member of the Fire Brigade during fire alarms.
* Maintains control of any fire scene, and meets and directs Fire
Department personnel when they respond.
* Enforces all "no-smoking" environments both inside and outside on the campus.
8. Maintains daily patrol log and oversees IR reports.
* Documents all security actions taken during a tour of duty.
* Makes entry on patrol log at least once every thirty minutes.
* Submits completed log to shift supervisor at completion of tour.
* Enters any and all IRs into the IRIMs system and performs any preliminary
investigation at scene of incident or complaint.
* Provides follow-up information to security investigator.
9. Supports loss prevention.
*Inspects packages brought into and taken out of university/hospital buildings.
* Ensures employees removing university/hospital property have followed
* Reports package inspection violations or problems to shift
10. Performs all related security, safety and protection duties as directed.
High School Diploma or GED required.
Related advanced training in Criminal Justice very desirable.
Must have completed all relevant TJU Security Department training modules, and must maintain all required training.
Must be able to understand all responsibilities and technology associated with the 24hour Security Response Center (SRC)
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATION:
Valid PA - ACT 235 Certification required within 90 days of hire.
Prior security, or police experience is preferred. Experience in campus/hospital security, law enforcement, or other related Criminal Justice agencies very desirable.
Ability to function effectively with Microsoft desktop applications (i.e. Word, E-mail)
TYPE OF EQUIPMENT USED:
Chemical Spray, handcuffs, police baton.
Computers, with access and reporting software.
Body and package scanners.
Jefferson Health delivers state of the art healthcare services to patients throughout the Delaware Valley and southern New Jersey. Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University) provides more than 8,400 students from nearly 40 states and 40 countries with 21st century professional education. Combined, we have over 30,000 employees.
Jefferson Health, with 14 hospitals (seven are Magnet designated by the ANCC for nursing excellence) and 40+ outpatient and urgent care locations, offers a broad range of primary and complex, highly specialized care that touches the lives of more than four million patients annually. U.S. News & World Report has ranked Thomas Jefferson University Hospital among the nation's best in eight specialties. Jefferson Health also includes the NCI designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center; it is one of only 70 such centers in the nation.
Thomas Jefferson University has ten colleges and three schools that offer more than 160 undergraduate and graduate programs. Our University is dedicated to inter-professional and transdisciplinary approaches to learning that offer a vibrant and expandable platform for professional education. Through this unique model, we are preparing our students for current and yet to be imagined careers.
As an employer, Jefferson maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.