The Resident Chef contributes to the success of a Sur La Table store by inspiring customers on all points of their culinary journey. The Resident Chef blends culinary talent, business acumen and teaching skills to drive business results while building a high-performing team. This role uses discretion in assigning duties to employees, in employment decisions and is accountable for the success of the in-store culinary program, culinary operations, staffing and the performance management of culinary employees. The Resident Chef reports to the General Manager (GM).
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Models and directs employees to ensure customer service standards are met.
* Delivers and holds employees accountable for an exceptional cooking class experience at every class using recipes and game plans provided.
* Creates an environment where employees are informed and capable by partnering with the GM to direct training for culinary employees.
* Manages the complete operations of the kitchen. Maintains proper storage, prep and service procedures and maintains all equipment and workspaces to ensure sanitary conditions. Delegates tasks appropriately and holds team accountable.
* Models and ensures all Sur La Table policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs) are communicated effectively to employees, maintained and consistently followed.
* Represents the culinary program in the community by building relationships with local restaurants and developing new class content in partnership with the HQ Culinary team.
* Proactively monitors and manages staffing levels of the culinary program according to culinary census and fluctuations in seasonal business needs.
* Maintains an active performance development process. Provides coaching in the moment and performance feedback to employees. Conducts formal performance reviews.
* Seeks opportunities to increase cooking class and retail sales and directs culinary employees to execute sales plans. Works with GM to engage retail employees.
* Analyzes and measures retail and culinary business trends. In partnership with the GM, develops and implements plans to drive topline retail sales and culinary revenue.
* Ensures culinary schedule is optimized to drive business goals.
* Stays informed by maintaining product knowledge, accesses available training and seeks out additional resources when necessary.
* Ensures the accuracy and integrity of employee information including, but not limited to, Time and Attendance records and personal data.
* Manages inventory, controls shrink, supply and culinary expenses.
* Appropriately partners with GM, HQ Culinary team, Human Resources and other departments as needed or necessary.
* Ensures adherence to applicable wage and hour laws. Accurately records time worked according to SLT policy.
* Demonstrates exceptional verbal and written communication skills with employees, customers, field management and corporate office.
* May handle, serve, and pour liquor, wine and beer and/or mix ingredients, such as liquor, soda, water and etc. in order to prepare cocktails and other drinks.
* Additional responsibilities as assigned by General Manager or HQ.
* Ability to communicate verbally and work cooperatively with employees and customers.
* Ability to remain in a stationary position for up to 3 hours at a time.
* Ability to move about the work place coaching and directing employees and/or class participants or while selling to customers.
* Ability to distinguish, with a degree of accuracy, differences or similarities in intensity or quality of flavors or odors, or recognizing particular flavors or odors using tongue or nose.
* Ability to grab, reach, push, pull, bend, stoop, kneel and crouch in order to demonstrate, retrieve and/or replenish merchandise and/or cooking equipment.
* Ability to use hands to seize, hold, grasp, turn, or otherwise in order to chop, whisk, slice, stir, juice and/or demonstrate other techniques.
* Ability to work a varied schedule in order to teach classes at different times of the day, week and year.
* Ability to operate a computer, POS system, keyboards, merchandise scanners and mouse in order to accomplish work.
* Regular and predictable attendance.
* Ability to lift and/or move merchandise and/or kitchen equipment weighing up to 35 lbs.
* Environmental conditions: working with an open flame and/or other heating units, and exposure to variation in kitchen temperature.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
* 3 - 4 Years of progressively responsible kitchen management experience. Experience as a Sur La Table Assistant Resident Chef, preferred.
* Culinary degree or equivalent Sous Chef experience considered in lieu of degree.
* 1-2 years' experience as a culinary instructor.
* Experience training others and holding teams accountable.
* Experience leading and coaching teams from varied specialties.
* Valid Food Manager Certification.
* Familiarity with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
* Proven ability to drive sales and motivate teams.
* Proven training and communication skills.
* Proven leadership and financial management skills.
Sur La Table Core Competencies for Everyone:
* Focus on the Customer: You inspire and delight your customers.
* Be Genuine: Your communication style is respectful, effective and sincere.
* Make the Right Call: You effectively blend knowledge, experience, wisdom & decisive action.
* Take Ownership: You are committed, responsible and provide solutions.
* Achieve Results: You meet and exceed goals and expectations.
Sur La Table Leadership Competencies for People Managers:
* Develop People: You never compromise on people.
* Lead the Way: You influence positive outcomes.
* Facilitate Success: Your team is motivated, engaged and accomplished.
This job description represents a summary of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Sur La Table has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Sur La Table is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, religion, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status. Sur La Table will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.