In addition to the application process, please copy and paste the link below into a separate browser window for consideration.
The Food & Beverage Manager is responsible for all aspects of the dining and beverage guest services onboard the vessel. This position is the direct contact for all guests and provides leadership, direction and training to the entire food and beverage team including, wait and bar staff. The Food & Beverage Manager is responsible for maintaining all facets of this department including, sanitation, cost control, service standards, a positive work environment, guest feedback and complaints, all while providing continuous leadership.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
* Responsible for the entire day-to-day operation of the food and beverage department onboard the vessel according to company's standards, as directed by the Hotel Director.
* Responsible for the standards of service delivered to the passengers in the bars, dining rooms, buffets and all other food & beverage outlets by department employees
* Maintains the highest level of sanitation throughout all food and beverage areas as prescribed by USPH and/or FDA.
* Records reservations, assigns tables to customers & handles customer complaints, oversees Head Waiters and staff to ensure that all duties are completed in a timely and efficient manner.
* Facilitate special events within the dining venues, i.e. birthdays, anniversaries.
* Oversee and ensure consistent communication and training of all food and beverage staff
* Orchestrates/oversees work schedules, time off, department cleaning schedules and specific responsibilities and side duties for all department staff
* Ensure that all service personnel adhere to company standards regarding uniforms, personal appearance and hygiene
* Responsible for welcoming and assisting guests, paying special attention to VIPs and special requests, including, but not limited to: parties, special functions, service recovery, in room, dining, and special diets.
* Supervise and assist the Head Waiters in their stations to maintain a high level of service and guest satisfaction
* Visit every table to ensure that all service is to the guest's satisfaction and communicate any adverse comments openly to the Executive Chef, taking action swiftly and immediately
* Consistently encourage upselling and product enhancement
* Approve all internal and external department requisitions and ensure that all department areas are inspected in a timely manner, checking for thoroughness, frequency, detail and quality
* Oversee the overall operation of the department storerooms by keeping track of rotation, preparation, distribution and bookkeeping.
* Responsible for the overall implementation of all food and beverage policies and procedures pertaining specifically to employees, work manuals, sanitation requirements, consumptions, costs, qualities, menus, special parties and others.
* Prepare proper forecasts and reach desired revenues for all beverage outlets onboard and maintain "blended" weekly costs of "free pour" while utilizing product and inventory to the best advantages of the company and department
* Ensure the complete familiarization and training of all food and beverage department employees and re-train, as needed
* Create and maintain a high level of moral within the department by developing a good working relationship with all other onboard departments through communication and collaboration
* Encourage and promotes growth and advancement of crew through training, feedback, positive recognition and responsibility
* Review and prepare performance evaluations for all department employees and provide coaching, disciplinary action and/or training when necessary
* Maintain effective cost control in all areas of the department.
* In conjunction with the Hotel Director, maintain open communication with shoreside management
* Approve all payroll and tip payments as prepared by Chief Purser/HD for his/her department
* Participate and ensure participation of all USCG mandated drills and emergency procedures as directed
* Performs other duties if required since above stated describe only a regular working day and may not be inclusive of every task needed to achieve results
Requirements & Qualifications
* HS Diploma or Equivalent Required
* Bachelor's Degree required; related field preferred
* Professional Certification(s) or License:
* TABC Permit (Server Permit)
* Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) - if applicable, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
* Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
Skills & Abilities:
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Ability to interact with individuals at all levels in a pleasant and professional manner
* Possess high level of service and hospitality standards
* Ability to train and supervise others
* Five to seven years in full service operation
* Experience in supervising and training employees
* Cruise industry experience preferred
* Must be at least 21 years of age.
* Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the USCG including but not limited to pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident/incident testing.
Our Values- RESPECT
At Hornblower Group and American Queen Steamboat Company, our mission is to create amazing experiences - not only for our guests, but our employees. Our company values (RESPECT) and operating principles (Hornblower 12) allow us to live out our mission of creating amazing experiences.
RESPECT stands for: Respect, Environment, Safety First, Professionalism, Exceed, Communication and Teamwork. Our Operating Principles, known as the Hornblower 12 demonstrate the ways we promise to engage to live those values:
* We treat others - guests and fellow crew members alike - with Respect, by fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.
* We are stewards of the Environment through practicing conservation, protection and education.
* We believe in Safety First by creating and maintaining a safe and secure workplace.
* We are Professional, and will demonstrate that in the following ways:
* We are on time - to start and stop - and we come prepared.
* We make objective data- and logic-based decisions with limited emotion.
* We prioritize by making difficult trade-offs and fast, quality decisions. We follow the 80:100 rule, making decisions that are at least 80% right, but 100% actionable.
* We Exceed expectations, embracing these principles:
* As employees, we expect to win, but always prepare and passionately compete like an underdog.
* We strive to innovate and reinvent, always looking forward and not stuck in the past.
* We value Communication, by following guiding principles:
* We listen to each other - fellow crew members and guests - and are responsive, vehemently following the 24-hour rule.
* We are transparent and efficient in our processes and do not entertain politics and bureaucracy.
* Teamwork helps drive us towards success, and together we embody teamwork by:
* We function as a team, playing our role and trusting our teammates.
* We work hard but have fun and don't take ourselves too seriously.
* And most importantly, we take the time to recognize and celebrate our successes together under the Hornblower family!
American Queen Steamboat Company is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additionally, the Company participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.