NOW HIRING FOR SUMMER SAIL DATES! We are now offering SIGN ON and RETENTION BONUSES if you start by 6/30/21
In addition to the application process please copy and paste the link below into a separate browser window for consideration.
The Pastry Chef is responsible for preparation and baking of all bread items, desserts and pastries, according to established standards and expectations set forth by the Executive Chef. Passenger satisfaction is the Pastry Chef's major goal.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
* Responsible for the preparation of bread, rolls and other typical bakery products
* Responsible for food Service and cleaning procedures for the section/work area assigned
* Responsible for all food storerooms including fridge and freezer in assigned work section
* Maintains the high standard presentation of food and buffets in conjunction with the Executive Chef; is responsible for planning, directing, controlling, cooking and co-ordination
* Participates in all kitchen activities to the agreed standards and to the complete satisfaction of the passengers
* Responsible for the preparation and cooking of bakery products to the highest standards to ascertain an efficient food service
* Assures that all bakery items are prepared and served according to established standards and practices
* Responsible for the proper cleaning and sanitary matters for work section, refrigerators, etc.
* Handles all working material and equipment with the necessary care and keeps it well cleaned
* Report all necessary repairs to the Executive Chef and follows up on repairs
* Is familiar with proper sanitation procedures and follows Public Health requirements
* Maintain compliance with the company grooming and uniform standards
* Assist as needed in all mandated inventories and orders
* Participate and ensure participation of all USCG mandated drills and emergency procedures as directed
* Performs other duties if required since above stated describe only a regular working day and may not be inclusive of every task needed to achieve results
Requirements & Qualifications
* HS Diploma or Equivalent Required
* Culinary degree preferred
* Professional Certification(s) or License:
* Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) - if applicable, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
* Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
Skills & Abilities:
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Two years of line cook experience
* Cruise industry experience preferred
* Must be at least 21 years of age.
* Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the USCG including but not limited to pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident/incident testing.
At Hornblower Group and American Queen Steamboat Company, our mission is to create amazing experiences - not only for our guests, but our employees. Our company values (RESPECT) and operating principles (Hornblower 12) allow us to live out our mission of creating amazing experiences.
RESPECT stands for: Respect, Environment, Safety First, Professionalism, Exceed, Communication and Teamwork. Our Operating Principles, known as the Hornblower 12 demonstrate the ways we promise to engage to live those values:
* We treat others - guests and fellow crew members alike - with Respect, by fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.
* We are stewards of the Environment through practicing conservation, protection and education.
* We believe in Safety First by creating and maintaining a safe and secure workplace.
* We are Professional, and will demonstrate that in the following ways:
* We are on time - to start and stop - and we come prepared.
* We make objective data- and logic-based decisions with limited emotion.
* We prioritize by making difficult trade-offs and fast, quality decisions. We follow the 80:100 rule, making decisions that are at least 80% right, but 100% actionable.
* We Exceed expectations, embracing these principles:
* As employees, we expect to win, but always prepare and passionately compete like an underdog.
* We strive to innovate and reinvent, always looking forward and not stuck in the past.
* We value Communication, by following guiding principles:
* We listen to each other - fellow crew members and guests - and are responsive, vehemently following the 24-hour rule.
* We are transparent and efficient in our processes and do not entertain politics and bureaucracy.
* Teamwork helps drive us towards success, and together we embody teamwork by:
* We function as a team, playing our role and trusting our teammates.
* We work hard but have fun and don't take ourselves too seriously.
* And most importantly, we take the time to recognize and celebrate our successes together under the Hornblower family!
American Queen Steamboat Company is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additionally, the Company participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.