Global Franchise Group (GFG) is looking for a Corporate Paralegal to play a key role in providing operational support to the Corporate Counsel, with a focus in the areas of trademarks, contract management, and brand protection. The company owns a portfolio of brands that include Great American Cookies®, Hot Dog on a Stick®, Marble Slab Creamery®, Pretzelmaker®, and Round Table Pizza®. GFG supports more than 1,400 franchised and corporate stores across all brands located in 16 countries and has system wide sales close to $1 billion. This role would share GFG's mission to "Champion Brands and the People Who Build Them" and be an advocate for GFG's "I Love This Place!" culture. This position will report directly to GFG's Executive Corporate Counsel.
Job Responsibilities & Overview
The Global Franchise Group (GFG) Legal Department manages a broad range of legal needs for GFG and our brands. As part of a small team, the Paralegal will play a key role in providing operational support to the Corporate Counsel with a focus in the areas of trademarks, contract management, and brand protection.
The role will interface with various GFG teams including Marketing, Creative, Retail Sales, and outside partners including outside counsel and key partners such as large institutional national and international franchisees.
GFG's work culture is a start-up environment. The Candidate is expected to be a self-starter and manage their process from end to end. Additionally, he or she should be unafraid to move quickly.
The Paralegal will report directly to GFG's Executive Corporate Counsel. Specific responsibilities will include:
• Assist Corporate Counsel and outside counsel with preparation and filing of trademark applications including day-to-day review and communication with outside counsel.
• Assist GFG team with collection of trademark use specimens including working with licensees and other partners.
• Read, understand, draft and revise legal documents including policy documents and a variety of contracts, including non-disclosure agreements and license agreements.
• Keep contract management system up to date on all contract activities and assist with other required updates.
• Assist with global brand protection and enforcement activities including reviewing reports of infringement.
• Review certificates of insurance from licensees and partners and maintain filing for the same.
• Assist with cost estimates for trademark prosecution and maintenance.
• Maintain a strong sense of confidentiality and respect regarding sensitive company and employee information.
• Prepare standard correspondence and coordinate electronic signatures.
• Administer and maintain records and filing systems.
• Provide general assistance and administrative support to GFG's Corporate Counsel.
Preferred Education & Qualifications
• 5+ years of law firm or in-house experience.
• Strong trademark experience including proficiency in US (and preferably foreign) law as it relates to prosecution and deadlines.
• Experience with contract drafting, review, and management preferred.
• Strong interest in building systems and processes.
• Proficient knowledge of software applications, such as word processing, internet searching skills, spreadsheets and databases.
• Ability to perform duties independently in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
• Excellent organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to interface with all levels of company employees.
Bachelor's degree and paralegal certificate from an ABA-approved program preferred but equivalent education or experience will be considered.