Summary of Position:
The role of the Service Director is to assist the GM in leading the restaurant and set the pace for the performance of the restaurant. You are tasked with ensuring that we comply with corporate standards of service inclusive of assisting with wine list management in coordination with our company executives, HR management, as well as ensuring that we meet/exceed our financial goals for various costs in order to outperform our budgeted net income. A minimum qualification is level 1 sommelier certification that will guide in building of the wine list. The main focus of this role is to elevate our service standards and ensure we are in line with our standards.
Duties & Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· You will be versed in cocktail creation and wine and will have a hand in creating our cocktail list along with following that our standard cocktails are created to perfection while ensuring that product is at the highest level and quality and recipe costs are in line with standard. You will oversee the purchasing of liquor, wine, beer and ensure that they do not exceed budget.
· You will be responsible for the interviewing, hiring and training of the entire Front of the House team with the GM. Service training is one of the main functions of your role as it sets the stage for our new staff as to what is to be expected of them.
· Proper time management must be maintained so that your office hours do not conflict with the service hours and that you are present on the floor at all times. This role will have minimal admin work.
· Hire staff according to our desired needs and according to our FTE schedule and labor budgets with approval by the GM.
· Must ensure all staff are performing at the level required by FOH standards.
· This role requires long hours on your feet being on the service floor working with and supporting the team.
· Staff are in proper uniform and sign off on uniform form upon hiring.
· Ensure music is set per standard along with appropriate lighting for the time of day. We will establish programming so it will be automated but it must still be monitored.
· Manage the reservation book (guest center open table) according to seating patterns and first seat tables.
· Assist with standardization of service and ensure scheduling pars are adhered to. Cocktails are made to standard, servers are extending all standards of service, bussers are swarm bussing, runners aren't auctioning off food at the table.
· Must act like a manager, team leader and motivator for the front of the house team along with directing the floor captains to ensure all responsibilities are being completed.
· Ensure that daily walk through checklists are followed and completed. Workplace safety and health department standards are of the utmost importance.
· Ensure that the codes of conduct are followed and that nobody is in violation of our handbook. If so then progressive discipline must ensue.
· You are responsible for chairing the weekly manager's meeting in the absence of the GM. You must make sure the event order weekly meetings are being held consistently as well.
· Reporting of R&M if noticed during the daily walkthrough.
· You will be required to also taste the food randomly on a daily basis to ensure that it is to standard. Portion sizes are correct, presentation is perfect etc..
· Customer service skills - working with customers is a key part of the Service Director's position; the ability to remain professional at all times is vital to this role
· Numerical abilities - Service Director's have minimal administrative duties; a good grasp of numeracy is important to carry out tasks such as budgeting and administering payroll along with managing costs and P&L.
· Organization - Service Director's need to be organized to keep track of shifts, customers, deliveries, and the general workings of the restaurant inclusive of the take out and delivery revenue center.
· Physical stamina - working in a restaurant can be physically demanding, requiring a good level of fitness to endure standing for long periods of time and carrying heavy items such as trays, furniture etc..
· Leadership skills -motivating a team and ensuring good performance from all members of the staff are key to keeping things running smoothly
· 5 years experience as a Manager in a restaurant operation.
· Prior experience in customer service
· Excellent phone skills and communication skills
· Must be a team player
· High school diploma or GED equivalent required
This position is very active and requires standing for long periods of time. The position may require occasional lifting of products weighing up to 20 pounds.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This position regularly requires long hours and a schedule that fluctuates based on business needs.