The cook is responsible for preparing and/or directing the preparation of food to be served, complying with all applicable sanitation, health and personal hygiene standards and following established food production programs and procedures. The cook is responsible for appropriate use of facility supplies and equipment to minimize loss, waste and fraud.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prepares or directs preparation of food served using established production procedures and systems.
- Determines amount and type of food and supplies required using production systems.
- Ensures availability of supplies and food or approved substitutions in adequate time for preparation.
- Sets steam table; serves or ensures proper serving of food for tray line or dining room.
- Complies with established sanitation standards, personal hygiene and health standards. Observes proper food preparation and handling techniques.
- Stores food properly and safely, marking the date and item.
- Reports necessary equipment repair and maintenance to supervisor.
- Correctly prepares all food served following standard recipes and special diet orders.
- Plans food production to coordinate with meal serving hours so that excellence, quality, temperature and appearance of food are preserved.
- Apportions food for serving.
- Maintains daily production records.
- Keeps work area neat and clean at all times; cleans and maintains equipment used in food preparation.
- Completes food temperature checks before service.
- Set-up workstations with all needed ingredients and cooking equipment
- Prepare ingredients to use in cooking including chopping and peeling vegetables and cutting meat
- Monitor stock and place orders when there are shortages
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is occasionally required to sit, stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push and pull items weighing 50 pounds or less. The position requires manual dexterity; auditory and visual skills; and the ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures.
- Must be able to stand throughout shift. Possess excellent physical condition and stamina
- Must be able to reach, bend, kneel, climb, push, pull or lift items weighing up to 30 pounds
- Requires auditory and visual skills, and the ability to follow written or oral instructions and procedures
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently while getting along with co-workers
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is non- exempt position (hourly). The work schedule will likely change throughout the year to accommodate the business needs of the property.
- No travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience:
- Experience in using cutting tools, cookware and bakeware
- Knowledge of various cooking procedures and methods including grilling, baking and boiling
- Good communication skills
- High school diploma or equivalent or a diploma from a culinary school
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Cut, and cook raw food products
- Instructed and follows proper procedures to cook food
- Prepare and cook food for daily production demands
- Work various cook positions throughout the kitchen
- Lead food service preparation and cooking
- Take food inventory, place food weekly food order, including food bank shopping
- Prepare and cook food for regular and special meals and functions requiring food service
- Prepare cook and serve food
- Perform duties to prepare and serve large quantities of food for clients in residential or day programs, working within the limits of standard or accepted practice./p
- Order food and supplied for food preparation
- Maintain food line by notifying prep cook of shortages and replenishing food at workstation
- Preparing and cooking of food
- Use proper cooking equipment to prepare food items and to complete food orders
- Training other kitchen staff in food preparation
- Assist the cook with preperation of meals
- Preparing food in according with the food service menus
- Serve food according to menu
- Receive and store food and food related items
- Cook food according to recipes
- Maintain food inventory and prepare food supply order; ensure proper food storage temperatures and rotate stored food