IL Oak Brook
Job Posting Title:
Senior Food Safety Specialist
Provides microbiological expertise and food safety support across the organization. Facilitates cross-functional collaboration to meet defined food safety parameters and in support of continuous improvement efforts. Monitors, reports and develops strategies on emerging issues and technology related to microbiological concerns and on emerging issues and critical food safety concerns. Develops testing protocols and projects, conducts trainings and provides technical support.
- Facilitates cross-functional collaboration with Operations, QA, Food Safety, and technical vendors, to implement microbiological programs and meet key performance indicators (KPI's). Contribute to continuous improvement efforts.
- Provides technical direction to facility personnel in the development of systems, capabilities, and practices in order to comply with all pertinent food regulations (e.g, FSMA) and company procedures. Develops protocols for preventive control validations and assists in execution and validation. Educates and provides technical support where needed.
- Provides technical direction to facility personnel in the development of systems, knowledge, capabilities, and practices in order to comply with all applicable food safety regulations, company procedures and external audits (such as customer, GSFI, Regulatory and Organic). Educates and provides technical support where needed.
- Design of microbiological challenge studies, scientifically validated risk management studies extend product shelf life and insure minimal regulatory risk; errors in judgment are extremely costly
- Monitors and reports on emerging issues related to food safety and quality. Recommends strategies and develops policies and procedures to mitigate. Delivers expertise and technical advice on complex and critical food safety concerns.
- Develops programs for conducting risk assessments, verification, validation and monitoring of effectiveness of food safety plans, company food safety procedures and regulations for current processes and new line and equipment commissioning.
- Provides technical expertise and direction facility QA managers and Sanitarians during plant sanitation issues such as microbiological and environmental controls.
- Ensures facilities verify and validate microbiological tests annually.
- Promotes consistency and aligns across divisions where possible.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list of all tasks. Additional tasks and duties may be assigned from time to time as necessitated by business needs
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum 5 years' experience in microbiology, food safety and quality
- Experience in molecular microbiology techniques including Next Generation Sequencing (including familiarity with bioinformatics), PCR, RT-PCR, genetic subtyping, etc.
- Experience with diverse food production processes
- HACCP certification, GFSI practitioner and PCQI certification preferred.
- Experience managing multiple, remote locations and leading thru influence
- Experience providing supervision, guidance, effective training and counsel to others.
- Ability to understand and analyze issues involving food manufacturing, project management, mathematics (including statistics), technical and legal documents.
- Ability to write, create training and disseminate policies and procedures
- Ability to communicate technical information to various levels of management and senior leadership
- Ability to understand food and environmental regulations and their impact on the organization, and our customers.
- Strong organizational, communication and collaboration skills
TreeHouse Foods is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers, including those with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to . In your email please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting and a description of the position for which you are applying.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.