R&D Food & Beverage Technology & Innovation Manager
Our client is an industry leading probiotic & enzyme manufacturer! We have been retained to find a talented R&D Food & Beverage Technology and Innovation Manager!
The Manager Food & Beverage Innovation will be responsible for all inquiries and actions pertaining to food and beverage applications. This versatile position acts as both a food scientist in the lab and provides technical support for food and beverage manufacturing from lab to pilot plant to commercialization.
This role will work closely with our Commercial and Science & Technology teams to provide technical leadership through direct interaction with customers, in-house formulation, and serve as subject-matter-expert in how various "biotics" work in Food and Beverage applications. Candidates must be familiar with food processing/manufacturing processes to create prototypes and help customers produce the final product, as well as create methods for testing the actives in the food for label and regulatory purposes. This role will be based in the greater Atlanta area.
- BS Degree in food science, biochemistry etc. and a minimum of 5 years of food application experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise of the food and beverage industry, with a focus on functional foods and nutritional ingredients and how they are applied to formulations and during manufacturing processes.
- Utilize broad practical food science and manufacturing process knowledge to position products into various applications.
- Ability to develop lab prototypes.
- Previous experience or sound understanding of microbiology.
- Experience in providing expert technical advice to customer with proven ability to translate complex technical information into customer-relevant recommendations.
- Enjoy troubleshooting.
- Proficient in MS Office, Excel, and Power Point
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Works on internal lab projects 50% of the time and provides technical support to customers 50% of the time.
- Apply fermentation and microbiology principles to food and beverage applications.
- Providing technical expertise and problem-solving support to customers on how to best apply products as relates to use of probiotics in various food and beverage applications.
- Lead product development projects on continuous improvement on existing products. Will work with internal project teams, consultants, and third-party developers.
- Create food recipe/blends to test viability and stability of portfolio products.
- Understand manufacturing processes for each application (may require visiting food facilities).
- Lead, design, conduct and troubleshoot enumeration assay tests and other traditional food analysis (water activity, moisture content, pH, etc.) to support customers' needs and new application development.
- Conduct stability studies for established and new probiotic products in various food and beverage applications by utilizing aseptic technique to ensure sterility of all media, equipment, and work areas, sample preparation, sample analysis, enumeration by CFU plating and microscopy, calibration, and tracking.
- Help consult on sales tools, marketing materials from a technical point of view, and reports for food and beverage-specific applications. Key applications include: Fruit juices, Functional shots and drinks, hot beverages such as coffee or tea, breakfast items such as cereal and oatmeal, kids' snacks, snack bars, cereal bars, dairy and non-dairy beverages such as yogurt/kefir/smoothies, kombucha, frozen foods, etc.
- Prepare and present technical product presentations.
- Coordinate University/outside labs to use for application specific testing.
- Improve and expand company's knowledge of new food ingredients/technologies for new and existing markets as applicable.
- Collaborate with industry professionals to expand new food application development opportunities.
- Travel: Roughly 25%