Scientist : Research Expert for Alternative Host Processing
Based in Cambridge/Boston (Massachusetts)
As one of the world's leading technology providers to the life sciences and biopharma industries, Sartorius is actively shaping dynamic, innovative and high-growth markets. To drive the creation of new innovative solutions, Sartorius has formed a new global Corporate Research initiative. This group will discover new trends and cutting-edge opportunities for rapid conversion towards next generation technology solutions. This challenging endeavor will include dynamic innovation opportunities with research institutes and start up technology companies around the world.
As part of this new team we are seeking a highly motivated and established expert for applying alternative hosts for driving efficiency improvements to bioprocessing. The position will pursue alternative hosts, such as microbial or fungal systems for efficient and economically feasible processes to support material production for R&D, clinical and commercial. They will be applied to biologics, vaccines and emerging fields including gene therapy. The establishment of novel approaches to drive proof of concept evaluations, will include managing new research opportunities with external collaborators. Such potential examples include projects to find alternative cellular hosts for the production of complex proteins including antibodies. The candidate will work as part of a multidisciplinary collaborative team of data scientists, sensoric experts, and bioprocess / automation engineers.
Responsibilities to include:
- Lead the research strategy into alternative hosts and identify the challenges and gaps for the selection of either microbial or fungal systems.
- Impact evaluation of alternative host systems on next generation research and manufacturing strategies of vaccines, recombinant proteins and cell/gene therapy
- Create and evaluate new expression systems for use with alternative hosts.
- Identify and establish collaborations with world leading academics and startup companies for cutting edge technology concepts
- Guide and provide practical support for completion of proof of concept experimental evaluations
- Evaluation and implementation of data analytics tools such as ML/DL/AI to accelerate R&D
- Drive and support potential creation of new approaches and prototype technology designs
- Responsible for the technology transfer of promising technology candidates to the Technology Development team.
- Support the technology roadmap strategy for the future advancement of alternate hosts including microbial Pichia based systems
- Drive and influence the bio industry in driving the adoption of alternate hosts
Qualifications & Requirements
- PhD in Biological science such as molecular biology, microbial expression or biological engineering
- A post graduate research or industrial research experience > 2- 4 years with microbial strain generation.
- Have established both a foundationally theoretical and practical competency in alternative hosts that is internationally recognized through publications and presentations.
- A practical competency in creating alternative host systems and / or cell free processing technologies.
- Preferable to have experience in overcoming the R&D challenges for applying microbial (Pichia) based systems
- An understanding and drive to influence the future trends of alternate hosts
- A willingness to learn from other disciplines and industry sectors.
- Demonstrated ability to drive & influence multidisciplinary teams such as data scientists and bioprocess engineers
- Ability to prioritize tasks and balance individual technical contribution with coordination of fast paced research activities across multiple sites, organizations, and disciplines
- Requires domestic & some international travel
- Identify with our company values: SUSTAINABILITY, OPENNESS, ENJOYMENT
Driving our future growth requires talented people. Sartorius is a dynamic organization suited to people who want to showcase skills, be recognized for expertise and thrive in a vibrant and innovative environment.
Please apply online at this link