The corporate food microbiologist is a key resource in assuring OSI food safety, quality, and regulatory compliance. The food microbiologist has oversight of food microbiology, risk assessment, and primary responsibility for designing and running process validation at OSI North America facilities.
- Apply practical knowledge of microbes relevant in food production.
- Develop procedures, methods, acceptance criteria, sampling plans and specifications for ingredients, products, processes and environments.
- Work collaboratively with NA Food safety and Quality, product development, process teams and customers to develop food safety criteria.
- Independently identify and lead process improvement initiatives.
- Design and supervise shelf-life and challenge studies.
- Proactively and independently perform food safety reviews including reviews of the sufficiency of risk assessments performed by OSI facilities.
- Ensure that microbiological sampling plans align to risks and work effectively to verify that the plant food safety system is working effectively
- Independently develop and conduct process validations
- Use statistical techniques suitable for use with microbiology data sets to assess products and process performance
- Identify root causes of variation and deviations.
- Performs timely resolution of process deviations.
- Stay current with industry best practices, technology and science.
- Provide support to internal and manage relationships with third party laboratories Fosters strong inter-team relationships.
- Participate as a consulting member of plant HACCP and Food Safety team.
- Serve on industry working groups.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- MS. in Food Microbiology or Food Science with at least 3 years of relevant work experience in applying food microbiology in the food industry is preferred
- 3+ years experience
- Strong relevant regulatory knowledge.
- QPR is a plus
- Excellent analytical skills with large data sets. Proficiency in Microsoft Office and statistical software.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to travel to North America facilities up to 50%.
- Ability to follow directions, work well independently or in a group
- Work is generally performed within a business professional office environment, with standard office equipment available. May be required to perform work in a manufacturing environment as well.
- While work performed within a manufacturing environment subjected to extreme temperatures of cold and warm along with wearing the proper PPE.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, bend, walk, use hands or finger, talk, hear, feel objects, tools, or controls; may be required to lift up to 50 pounds. Vision abilities include close vision to a computer.
OSI Industries is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that believes everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect. OSI does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, gender, race, color, religion, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. All applicants will receive consideration for employment based on merit, qualifications and business needs. OSI participates in the E-Verify program.